Cichlid Stocking Advice for a 29 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigtard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have an empty 29 gallon tank that I'd like to stock with African cichlids. I'd like to have at least 4 or 5 fish. So that means bigger cichlids are out. I'm also not a big fan of fish that doesn't get larger 3" or 3.5". I'd like to find something in the 4" to 5.5" range or so.

Anyone have any suggestions stocking suggestions or advice on things that work and don't work. I've had lots of South American cichlids in the past, so I'd like to try Africans for this tank.

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend any African Cichlids in a 29 gal tank. If it is a standard 29 gal tank, than it is rather tall which would not provide much swimming space for the cichlid to "stretch" their fins. The only African that I would attempt in a 29 would be Shellies or possibly Yellow Labs.

the 29 gallon doesnt have enough surfase area for ARLC's... its not a gallons issue..

If you want african cichlids look into shell dwellers..

I would definately not try the Acei. They are beautiful fish, but IME need more space to stretch their fins. As I said in my first post, possibly Labs, but definately shellies. Other than those two, I would not recommend any Africans in a tank of that size. If you purchase a 55 gal in the future, then your options are definately larger.

I have a 29g with cacatoo cichlids. They are a great fish for that size tank. They are very easy to maintain, but once the are settled in they breed like crazy. They are not aggressive, except when protecting eggs. They are small and really cann't hurt anything. When more then one female has fry it is great to watch them lead them around. They also try to steel a few from each others fry, which is fun to watch. They are great parents.

You could keep a pair of N. brichardi (or their cousins) in a 29gal, or a pair of A. calvus or compressiceps. Just a pair, though, as this can't be a community setup. It would make a great shelldweller tank, as mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom