Cichlid with Fin Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I just got 6 Williamsi North Makonde Blue Lips, and they look great and are getting along with the tank mates fine but one has a problem.

The pectoral fin on one is very damaged. It is still intact, but he rarely uses it and is on the bottom of the tank constantly to keep from using the fin. It looks like he keeps it tucked in and protected as much as possible.

I have a 10g I can use as a hospital tank i guess but it currently has glofish in it. I was still thinking of tossing him in there for protection from the other cichlids, although the other fish have not messed with him at all yet. The fish looks very healthy besides the fin problem and I would hate to lose him due to a shipping injury.

Any meds I can give him? I have some ick meds, Stress Coat, Prime and aquarium salt.

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

Steve

Hi! I am sorry one of your fish arrived damaged. Have you contacted the seller in respect to this matter? Many will refund your cost (minus shipping) or credit you for another purchase. If the fin is badly damaged, there honestly is not much you can do other than provide healthy water & make sure he isnt bullied by everyone else. Keep a close eye on him especially if its an open injury which can potentially be at risk for infection. If he is being bullied, moving him to a less stressful environment may be his best option while he heals. Fish are surprisingly adaptable- even without the use of the fin, he should learn to maneuver himself & swim without using it. It may not be 'ideal' but as long as he is otherwise healthy, his quality of life should not suffer. Good luck!!

Well the package arrived today and he must have been getting bullied a little in the bag. He was alive and well but favoring one fin very badly, keeping it tucked into his side and laying on the ground. I added some stress coat andgave him a few hours and he's swimming with the others looking great. I dont know what happened, but what seemed like a bad injury turned out to be a false alarm from the looks of things.

Thank you for the advice. I'm very happy nothings wrong and thankful for advise so quickly!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom