Cichlids changing colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CameronCade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a yellow Auratus that had black stripe but now it's vanishing. I also have a blue one that is starting to get some yellow in its tail. I've read where the most dominate one will turn colors. The thing is I'm not sure if their male or female and why their changing colors? Can someone please explain to me whats up? Thanks.

Attachments

• image-16673112.jpg
    image-16673112.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3996621900.jpg
    image-3996621900.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3825827996.jpg
    image-3825827996.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 88
I think you pretty much answered your own question with a few exceptions. Yes the most dominate fish will flaunt its colors and show off for all to see. Also could be a sign of being stressed or even sick.

So could it be that they are both females and the yellow one is turning blue? If so, they can be born either or blue or yellow but that doesn't determined the sex?

Your arautus is changing because it is male.. males are different color variation from females.. females are that yellow and black it probably was a few weeks ago and males are black and white

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130222_233757.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130222_233757.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 78
So let me get this straight. I bought 2 from a tank that was filled with them. The yellow one is a male but was in "hiding" in female colors. So is the other one a male too?

Haha not really hiding in female colors.. all juveniles are yellow and black.. then when they mature the males change over and females stay the same color.. same thing with kenyi cichlids as well. Females stay blue and males change to yellow.

All cichlids are born in the female patterns, upon maturity the male coloration starts to develop. Sometimes however a female will develop the male coloration if she is the dominant fish.

Back
Top Bottom