Cichlids in a 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would any type of Cichlids work in a 29 gallon? What about rams? Although I hear they are harder to care for and do they get along with live bearers?

Rams would be okay as long as the tank has been set up for a while and you don't have to much stock in there already, need to make sure your water parameters are kept good especially for German Rams, Bolivians are slightly more forgiving.

I really like the electric blue, but I'm not too picky. I'm looking for a good beginner type of cichlid or ram.

Borderlesscott said:
Rams would be okay as long as the tank has been set up for a while and you don't have to much stock in there already, need to make sure your water parameters are kept good especially for German Rams, Bolivians are slightly more forgiving.

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Yup! They're super peaceful. I have 1 in my 29 with 2 Angels some Cory cats and some Tetras and he is totally fine!

Hows this list for the 29 gallon?

-Electric Blue ram X2
-Marble Angel X2
-BN pleco
-Neon Dwarf Gourami X2
-Dwarf Cichlid
-Neon tetras
-(Possibly guppies)

Is this considered overstocked? What would work and what wouldn't?

Electric blue rams are really hard to keep.They are very sensitive to water conditions and you can lose then at the drop of a hat.Bolivians would be a much better option.

Electric blue rams are really hard to keep.They are very sensitive to water conditions and you can lose then at the drop of a hat.Bolivians would be a much better option.
Ok, so considering I don't go with the electrics, how many bolivians would I be able to put/need? I actually forgot to add the bolivians to the list.

In a 29 I think 2 Angels,2 rams,A BN pleco and a dwarf cichlid would be way too busy.
I personally would choose between Angels and Rams and do a pair with some community fish like Rummy nosed Tetra or bleeding heart tetra.You could do a good group of really nice tetra.Harlequins would also work in a 29.Along with a BN pleco that would look great.

In a 29 I think 2 Angels,2 rams,A BN pleco and a dwarf cichlid would be way too busy.
I personally would choose between Angels and Rams and do a pair with some community fish like Rummy nosed Tetra or bleeding heart tetra.You could do a good group of really nice tetra.Harlequins would also work in a 29.Along with a BN pleco that would look great.
Ok, well I have some time before the tank gets cycled to think about stocking. Thanks for the suggestion! If I were to go the Angel route, how many would be appropriate?

2 Angela would be fine in a 29 but thats it, they get huge...
Rams don't get as big,
Honestly the stalking of your tank depends how your filtration is.. How many water changes you do ext !
I'd wait awhile before you keep harder rams just my option.. You could always try it see how it goes

Here is what's in my 29 gallon: 2 bolivian rams, 4 black kuhli loaches, 7 Blackskirt tetras, 1clown Pleco, 14 ghost shrimp and 1dwarf honey Gorumi.(spelling) they all get along well.

I have 2 Angels, 1 Bolivian ram, 3 Cory cats, 9 tetras (don't know what type) and a Pleco
In my 29 gallon
They all get along great... I do a 5 gallon water change once a week ..

Attachments

• image-1871554121.jpg
    image-1871554121.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 83
2 Angela would be fine in a 29 but thats it, they get huge...
Rams don't get as big,
Honestly the stalking of your tank depends how your filtration is.. How many water changes you do ext !
I'd wait awhile before you keep harder rams just my option.. You could always try it see how it goes
I think I will try the Bolivian rams, but I will pay a visit to my LFS to see them in person, as well as the Angels.

Back
Top Bottom