Circulation or Movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Max_in_SD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read on this board and seen recommendations but still unclear as to why the need for tons of circulation inside the tank just curious. Is it to get the water filtered better? or In saltwater tank movement provides more O2?

Both. having no dead spots will help keep the waste suspended in the water colum so mechanical filtration will work better. To aviod collection of waste in dead spots which will cause water quality issues. Circulation is good for corals also.

Dead spots in the tank will be your bane. Those spots is where you will grow cyanobacteria, hair algae and other pest algaes. Not to mention the more dead spots you have in the tank, the higher your nitrates will get.

The more water movement you have, the better off you are. Gas exchange happens on the water surface, the more movement you have the more water is going to be able to get its gas exchange.

so if i buy some powerheads do i want them to go deep in the water or just have them on the surface of the tank.

best thing is to have an even number of powerheads, and point them directly at each other. Their cross current will create flow in the whole tank.

Remember a reef isn't deep, and the ocean's waves create a lot of current, and we need to recreate that environment in a reef tank. its as much to keep detris stirred up as it is to keep fish and corals happy and healthy.

I have that same question. I am about to start a 150 gallon FOWLR first. I have ordered 2 Maxi-jet 1200's . Will I need more? Or should I wat until I add coral at a later date?

I would personally get more powerheads. The rule of thumb is at least 10x the gallons per hour. So for a 150g you will need power heads to push out at least 1,500gph of water.

Like klam said you want at least 10x the flow for a FO/FOWLR. Iplan a reef or any corals you would want 20x the flow.

Back
Top Bottom