Clean up crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NexVobis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have juvenile discus and man are they messy eaters. A lot of bloodworms stay behind. So I'm thinking of adding 5 corys and 3 assassin snails. Never kept any of those mentioned so advice is very welcomed. Or are there any other species of fish that will do the same yet tolerate the high temps required by my discus and gbr?

If you decide to go with corydoras i know that c. sterbaii handles the warmer waters better than most other corys.

Jesselav1233 said:
Sterbai Cory cats can deal with the heat I learned the same thing when I started with discus

I was interested in the panda cory but once I saw the markings on the sterbai cory I was sold. Opinion on the assassin snails?

Thanks for the input guys! Hopefully I'll get 4-5 sterbai corys this weekend.

NexVobis said:
I was interested in the panda cory but once I saw the markings on the sterbai cory I was sold. Opinion on the assassin snails?

Yeah I think the sterbai look cool too. Never owned any snails though

Jesselav1233 said:
Yeah I think the sterbai look cool too. Never owned any snails though

Same here but recently some hitch hikers invaded my tank when I added new plants. I've only seen about 3 baby snails and do t want them to become a pest and well I know the assassins will handle them.

Amapa corydoras and flag tail panda cory's are also happy at higher temps. You could also look at the common brochis (also known as emerald brochis). They're larger than true cory's but l am tempted by these guys myself just for their fantastic colour.
If you buy cory's try to buy a group of at least 6 that should (almost) guarantee you'll get males and females and hopefully as they mature you'll end up with a breeding group.

Dreadz said:
Amapa corydoras and flag tail panda cory's are also happy at higher temps. You could also look at the common brochis (also known as emerald brochis). They're larger than true cory's but l am tempted by these guys myself just for their fantastic colour.
If you buy cory's try to buy a group of at least 6 that should (almost) guarantee you'll get males and females and hopefully as they mature you'll end up with a breeding group.

Yes, I've been reading up on the grouping of these fish. Yeah I looked into the emerald cory but didn't really catch my eye.

I've owned assassin snails very good at killing other snails, once they eat all the snails they resort to scraps though.

Brox said:
I've owned assassin snails very good at killing other snails, once they eat all the snails they resort to scraps though.

Ah ok. Yes I want something that will get rid of those hitch hiking snails and well something to help with the left over food. Until my discus grow and eat properly, lol.

Yeah, they should do since they are carnivores I believe it be perfect since your feeding them bloodworms

Brox said:
Yeah, they should do since they are carnivores I believe it be perfect since your feeding them bloodworms

Yup. Thanks.

So far 2 :( yes I know I need more but for now all I can afford.

Attachments

• image-2372231751.jpg
    image-2372231751.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 80
NexVobis said:
So far 2 :( yes I know I need more but for now all I can afford.

Those guys look nice I like the blue discus. The tank looks like its cool as well like the black Sand or whatever it is

Jesselav1233 said:
Those guys look nice I like the blue discus. The tank looks like its cool as well like the black Sand or whatever it is

Thank you. Eco-Complete. Got it from petco.com for $17.99. Free shipping on orders $49 or more. Very good deal as usually a bit more expensive.

NexVobis said:
Thank you. Eco-Complete. Got it from petco.com for $17.99. Free shipping on orders $49 or more. Very good deal as usually a bit more expensive.

Yeah I have that stuff mixed in with sand in my community tank I payed $30 a bag looks better with pure Eco complete.

Ah yeah can be pricey. It does, I just have pure Eco complete In there.

Back
Top Bottom