Cleaning an Infected QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to know the best way to clean a QT that had Ich.

I know people use a bleach solution but what do you do with the equipment - powerheads, filter, sponges and bio roller (marineland filter)

You could dose some copper, let all the equipment run for maybe 2 weeks(longer would be always better, that will depend on your patience), then after that time, add carbon, or copper removing media, and test the copper levels until they drop back to zero...
From what I understand, copper is the for sure kill of the suckers...
But if you have the equipment hanging and want to exterminate the ick with bullets in the forehead, throw in a uv as well....That should be a for sure treatment...and also lots of work...unfortunately :(

I read somewhere, I think reefkeeping, to empty the tank, rinse with tap water, use white vinegar on all the surfaces, rinse and repeat. Air dry and let it stay. I placed all the filter sponges in a mesh bag and tossed them in the washer with no detergent and just let it wash and air dry.

I did perform the vinegar cleaning couple of days ago to clean out the Ich during a WC of the QT. Since vinegar is also used to control nitrates ( like vodka) it's not considered toxic like bleach.

Cheers

W

Back
Top Bottom