Cleaning an old tank and filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JourReve08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just found an old 5 gallon tank in my parents basement! It even has a whisper filter and a heater! I have no idea if either of them even function, but still, yeah for free stuff! My question is: how do I get this set up clean and safe for fish? All of it is pretty grimy and dust covered. What should I do?

I would start by rinsing it all off in hot water. Then tackle any hard water deposits on it with some white vinegar. Just fill the tank with water, dump some vinegar into it, and let it sit for a few hours. Or you can take this opportunity to do your leak test before you get everything nice and clean, and let it just sit full of the vinegar and water for at least 24 hours to make sure it isn't leaking. Then start scrubbing it inside and out using paper towels or a clean new sponge (nothing containing soap or that has been used with soap before). You can soak the filter and heater inside the tank while you let it all sit. If any hard water stains remain, you can scrape them off with a razor blade. Once everything is clean, rinse very well and dry everything off. Good thing about a 5 gallon is you can do it in the tub instead of having to haul it outside.

while its sitting full of water & vinegar, run the filter on it to help clean that out too.

HOT HOT water, vinegar, scrubbing pads.

Back
Top Bottom