Cleaning Bio media in canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slade

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a canister on my cichlid tank for about 2 years now. I've just got two more for my other tanks - I like the idea of bio in the canisters with cleaning every 3 months, and a HOB with sponge/pads/floss that I rinse weekly with my PWC.

Anyway, I'm wondering if just rinsing my bio media (I use Eheim mech / substrat pro) in tank water is enough, or if it needs to be cleaned/recharged eventually to unclog the pores. Eheim suggests replacing half the substrat pro every 6 months - that's not going to happen at those prices, but I do want it to be as efficient as possible.

i just keep rinsing mine in tank water, i have heard about some people boiling some of the media to give it a deep clean but ive never tried that.

The maker is always going to say you need to change media at a set rate. Simply because they want to make money from you!

I would say keep doing what your doing and checking your levels.

Change i something goes way out of line or the media is falling apart, but only part change media.

Back
Top Bottom