Cleaning Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurencallen74

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks,
I have a 46 gallon bow front aquarium with an Emperor 280 and an additional small filter for a ten-twenty gallon as well. How and how often should I clean the HOB filter parts? I know to rinse my media in aquarium water, but I haven't cleaned the filter yet because I'm scared to mess with the biofilter. Any help would make me very happy as I read on.

I have 2 fancies.

I just clean them every time I do a PWC. Clean them whenever you want. I would clean them when they are clogged with fish gunk/waste/poop/YUCK!

For the intake, I use pipe cleaners. For the media, I swish it around and squeeze it to get all the nasty off it.

I just dip and squeeze my filter floss in the PWC water every time I do a PWC. Just to get the large particles off.

Thanks! So, when I take the hob off the tank, just rinse with cool cold water and get the gunk off? Won't hurt anything?

I clean the filter media in tank water every week during water changes. Once every 5-6 months I do a total breakdown of the filter housing and clean it well while the media sits in tank water.

Back
Top Bottom