Cleaning off the extra silicon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramon82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Cleaning off the extra silicon

Hey Guys

I am helping a friend building his aquarium before I start my new one. He has some silicon which is extra and needs to be cleaned off from the glass. We did not try anything yet so that we do not damage the glass.

What do you suggest as cleaning solvent? any brand names? where can I buy?

Thanks a lot people

hey guys i used a sharp razor and i took off the extra silicone however there's still some traces left...cant manage to get it off because its an extremely thin layer of silicone but yet still very visible.

any hints? thanks!

Silicone will not dissolve in solvents ... That is why we use it, it is inert & don't dissolve into anything.

Extra silicone, you can gently scrape off with a razor. then maybe scrub with a fine nylon scrubbie to get at the residue. But if it is not visible, i won't bother with that.

To prevent this when tank building, mask off the seams with masking tape before applying the silicone. Feather the silicone onto the tape with your (gloved) finger, then remove the tape while the silicone is still wet. This will give you a sharp seam line that looks good.

Back
Top Bottom