Cleaning used tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILuv3ggs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

These forums look great! So much useful stuff for noobies like me :)

I have an old 180 litre fishtank thats been sitting unused for about 6 months and didn't really have a chance to give it a good clean when I had to empty the tank and move it (painting/renovating). The most i did was let it sit in the sun for a week and gave it a quick scrub with a clean rag and water. Much of the algea is still on the glass, and was just wondering what the best way is to fully clean the tank so i can use it again and not risk having any of the old algea bloom and diseases/bacteria (if any) start living again. I heard if you're not careful, these things can carry over into your new setup ?

I also heard that white vinegar is good to clean the tank/filter/etc, but would rather hear it from people with some experience.

Again, these forums look great :)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

if it's glass, nothing beats scraping the gunk off with a razor blade, just be careful of the seems.
reasons of fish and plants dying etc, may be better in another thread.

Matt.

I was given a 29 gal that was so covered with mineral deposits and old algae that you could not see through it. Vinegar, a scrub brush (nylon bristles), and a razor blade solved all of that!

Just rinse the vinegar out thoroughly.

Good luck!

I always bleach a tank before use. It will kill any algae and pathogens, but won't remove mineral deposits. For that I use vinegar.

In the past when I have used those methods to clean a tank. When done, yes, just flush the tank a lot, I pretty much go with the idea if you can smell ANY cleaning supplies,,,,keep flushing.

The final question,,, would you drink that water?

But I am a little wierd.

Wade

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom