cleanup crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmgriff72

Aquarium Advice Activist
HI, I have a 75 gallon tank that has been set up since March 17th. I added 3 reef crabs (one has died--I guess--haven't seen him in weeks) and 1 turbo snail. I have since added 3 chromis fish and they will have been in the tank for 2 weeks on May 17th. My question is--I am planning on adding probabley 2 FP clowns on the 17th or that weekend (if water paremeters are ok) and was wanting to know how much of a cleanup crew do I need now that I am adding fish? I do have brown algae (it is getting better though) and was wondering about how many snails and crabs I need for a 75 gallon. I didn't add that many at first because my tank was new and I didn't want them to starve to death. I don't have much live rock (maybe 10lbs--I know I need more) and I don't want to add too much. I would also like to add 1 or 2 cleaner shrimp but I didn't know if I needed to wait until 2 weeks after I add the second batch of fish or could I add them at the same time? Also, if I only buy one cleaner shrimp at a time will that cause conflict and fighting by not putting them in there at the same time? Also, is a lawnmower blenny good for brown algae and can you get one even if you don't have that much of an algae problem.. will it eat fish food also?---Thanks--- :D

For red/blue leg hermits, Nassarius, Cerith, or Turbo snails I’d aim for 1 per 3-5 gal to start with. Multiple cleaner shrimp will get along at any time whether added at once or later on. Only thing I would not recommend is adding more then one Coral Banded Shrimp to your tank.

Also note that the “cleaner shrimp family” includes the skunk, blood red, and peppermint shrimp.

ok, thanks. I really would like to get the cleaner shrimp because I think it is cool how all the fish line up for their turn. Can I add in maybe one cleaner shrimp at the same time I add in the 2 clown fish?

It shouldn't be an issue. Are you using a QT tank? Clowns are pretty susceptible to ich and I would if not so you don’t infect the main.

Also make sure you drip acclimate your clean up crew for 2+ hours before adding.

I do not have a QT right now. I slowly acclimated my crabs/snails over about 1 1/2 hours last time by slowly adding small amount of water in the bag and taking to old water out of the bag after I floated them for about 20 minutes. I acclimated my fish by putting them into a bucket and adding a cup of water every 15 minutes until I had done that for about an hour and 15 minutes ( I floated them for 20 minutes first). They all seemed to tolerate it very well. I did this with my first set of clownfish, however, I lost them because I was told I could put them into the tank the next day after setup (thanks to the LFS) I have learned a lot since then. I will take it slow whenever I get them. I still have another week to wait because my fish have only been in there a week tomorrow.

Can you acclimate the whole clean up crew at once?

I should be able to acclimate them all at one time. I know I need more LR but right now I am at the mercy of the LFS for my LR and at 9.99-12.99/lb I can't get much and really don't want to pay that for it. :(

kmgriff72 said:
I am at the mercy of the LFS for my LR and at 9.99-12.99/lb I can't get much and really don't want to pay that for it. :(

There are many resources online that you can buy LR from for significantly less (even with shipping). If you hunt, there are deals out there that range from $3-$5 shipped depending on how much you buy.

Back
Top Bottom