clearing soil in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

george9617

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up nano planted tank and have rinsed soild multiple times how do I clear it up

When you dirt a tank you don't rinse the soil. You use an Organic potting soil, not potting mix, lay however thick a layer you want in the tank dry. Then you very very slowly add just enough water to make the soil damp (you should be able to pick it up and ball it in your fist- you don't want soup). Next carefully add your cap layer. Then place a plate over the cap and very slowly fill the tank letting the water run on the plate so as not to disturb the cap layer.

If you have your dirt wet then you need to let it dry out before using it.

What's cap layer, and I kinda have it set up already is this soil safe?

The soil has to be Organic Potting Mix. Many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. From what I can see this is not the proper soil to use in a dirted tank.

Ok grabbed some organic soil rinsed once ,capped with black sand and I'm all set

ForumRunner_20121110_154800.jpg

May I ask what is on the bottom of the layers and just how thick is your substrate? I have a 220g and only have an 1-1/2 layer of soil and an 1-1/2 layer of cap. You substrate looks incredibly thick in the picture. Plus what size is your tank?

Prob just trick of the eye bottom layer 1 1\2 top about the same tank is a 10 gallon

It must be but that is a very thick layer for a 10g. Don't add anymore. For a 10g usually only a 3/4" layer or each (soil/cap) is needed. One inch at the most.

Hmmm just felt like I'm gonna make a mess when I add plants ,figured id lay plants down and cover with new sand and be done with it

Have you read Diana Walstad's book? There are also some helpful youtube clips about the Walstad method. I only put a little sand over my dirt then added the plants then capped with the majority of the sand. My sand layer is maybe an inch but I am thinking less.

So where do I go from here? Take water and sand out plant then resand? Or can I just twist plants into place and do a water change

You should be able to plant most plants in your cap layer. You don't need to push them down to the dirt, they will send roots there themselves if they are deep rooters. If you get any big swords or crypts you might have to get into the dirt layer in which you need to gently and slowly move the sand away with your hand, plant the crypt/sword, and push the sand back over. If you do get some dirt on the sand you can sprinkle just enough sand over it to cover it but don't add any more sand than absolutely needed. Don't start from scratch again. Just plant gently and you shouldn't make a big mess. You'll also learn dirt tanks IMO do better with a dark cap. You can see mine in the link in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom