Close call with Mr Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My betta Mr Betta (What do you expect when a 2 year old names him) was floating in the right front corner of my tank when I got home from work last night. If I touched him he would swim away a little but then float back up and to the same spot. I tried to luer him out with food to no success. I feared the worst then I noticed the water level in my tank was a little lower than normal.

Apparently when I did my water change the night before I did not refill it to the same level adn the added waterfall height from my HOB filter made a nasty current in the tank Mr Betta did not like. I guess he was just exhausted from fighting the curent and gave up.

I added water last night and this morning everything was back to normal. He was eating and swimming like usual.

It is amazing how something like 1/2 in difference in water level can affect your aquarium.

Lesson learned

Glad he's okay! :D
You can also get a piece of plastic craft mesh from the store and use fishing line to tie it around the front of the flow to slow it down. I did that on 2 of my filters for the betta, and it works great!

Sounds like a good idea I use the soda bottle trick and that helped A LOT but I konw betta are more sensitive to current than most fish.

Back
Top Bottom