cloudy eye, white spot in eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Residentfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
has anyone had to deal with cloudy eye or pop eye? i have a 210 gallon tank with mostly peacock cichlids , all levels of ammonia , nitrates , and nitrites and ph are perfect. currently treating with API Melafix. i am on the 5 day of treatment of 7 according to directions.

Cloudy eye and Popeye are symptoms of bad water conditions. When was your last water change? What are you using to test? Melafix doesn't really do anything in some cases, in others it works wonders.

Fish Pop-Eye

I would start with a 50% water change then dose some Aquarium salt. If you have live plants they will have to be move or try Paraguard by seachem. Turns the water colors and may turn certain plants blue. I am currently using it to treat Ich.

cloudy eye

first thanks for replying. that is what i thought but all water readings are good. ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph are all good. this is why i was treating for bacteria. wonder if its a parasite. it has hit about five of my fish. my tank is 6 feet long 27 inches high and 2 feet back. the top of the canopy is 7 feet. i use a ladder to feed them. so i kinda have to treat the whole tank . i do take the carbon out of my sump and treat with the amounts of medication per gal that is recommended. we will have to wait and see , maybe i should treat for a parasite.I also use aquarium salt. first time this has happenend

i am using a API freshwater master test kit. thanks again:thanks: water change on Monday.

If your water parameters are good and your seeing this in multiple fish then I'd treat the tank for a bacterial infection, this is not a parasitic problem and the only thing I'd use Melafix for is a paperweight.

My first recommendation is huge 75% water change then start treatment with Tetras Fungus Guard(former Jungle formula), its cheap, easy to find, and works wonders.

If this is simply cloudy eye and not pop eye then I'd be doing daily 50% water changes for a week or so, pristine water quality will clear this in no time.

Last edited:
thank you for the input. I have already started with a 50% water change and will do one for the next 5 or so days and see what happens. then I will continue with antifungal if it seems to be getting worse.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom