Cloudy tank. Should I be worried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, I try to be as discreet as possible with the gravel vac. Otherwise everything stays as is.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea, I try to be as discreet as possible with the gravel vac. Otherwise everything stays as is.

Be careful. Go here [where the OP had an algae bloom caused by high nitrates and too much light] and read my post #11:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/water-cloudiness-336239-2.html

Once your tank is fully established (say in another month or two), don't skimp on gravel vacuums unless your tank is fully planted and the plants are absorbing excess nitrates.

You want to get the detritus (fish waste) and uneaten food out of the gravel before the beneficial bacteria turns it into nitrates. Failure to vacuum gravel leaves a breeding ground for nitrates at the bottom of your tank which is a nitrate factory ... especially when stirred.

The majority of BB resides in the filter and there is zero risk that vacuuming the gravel will remove beneficial bacteria attached to the gravel. Think about it. Water in a typical filter is running over the BB on your bio-media at a high velocity (ie 200+ gph over a small space) and it does not flush away the BB from the bio-media. Likewise, water being siphoned running over the gravel will not remove BB that is attached to the gravel.

Since I started vacuuming my gravel weekly I have never had an algae or a bacterial bloom and my water remains crystal clear and polished and all parameters are in check.

Be careful. Go here [where the OP had an algae bloom caused by high nitrates and too much light] and read my post #11:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/water-cloudiness-336239-2.html

Once your tank is fully established (say in another month or two), don't skimp on gravel vacuums unless your tank is fully planted and the plants are absorbing excess nitrates.

You want to get the detritus (fish waste) and uneaten food out of the gravel before the beneficial bacteria turns it into nitrates. Failure to vacuum gravel leaves a breeding ground for nitrates at the bottom of your tank which is a nitrate factory ... especially when stirred.

The majority of BB resides in the filter and there is zero risk that vacuuming the gravel will remove beneficial bacteria attached to the gravel. Think about it. Water in a typical filter is running over the BB on your bio-media at a high velocity (ie 200+ gph over a small space) and it does not flush away the BB from the bio-media. Likewise, water being siphoned running over the gravel will not remove BB that is attached to the gravel.

Since I started vacuuming my gravel weekly I have never had an algae or a bacterial bloom and my water remains crystal clear and polished and all parameters are in check.

That link is taking me to a post about cannibals lol. But I do get every inch of gravel. I just do it very carefully so I don't kick anything up too much.

That link is taking me to a post about cannibals lol. But I do get every inch of gravel. I just do it very carefully so I don't kick anything up too much.

The link still works correctly for my. My post was made May 25 so you might check my profile and try that link to see if you may have malware on your computer/smartphone ... especially if this "redirecting" has happened to you before.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malware-threats-materializing-on-smartphones/

These free products work great to remove it malware:
:
1) Malawarebytes

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

2) Spybot search & destroy:

Download Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2 - FileHippo.com

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom