Cloudy water but perfect levels? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a established planted 10g and I am experiencing cloudy water but yet my levels are perfect? Ammo 0, trite 0, trate 5 ph 7.0. I use a AC 30 as well. Anybody ever had this issue and know of any cures to solve this?

bumping this back to the top as i would quite like an answer to this

Ok what substrate do you have and have you messed with it at all? My moms tank is cloudy alot but the fish seem fine (I dont have a test kit. Please dont hate) If you have sand and just moved it or added more (any substrate actually) it can cloud your tank. Bacteria bloom can. If it is near a window I suppose it could be algae....... but I think it would be green then....

i just got new fine black substrate not sand but really fine gravel i soaked it for like 4 hours before putting it in and rensed it well kinda hoped this would get rid of the cloudyness you think that could be my problem ? how would i get rid of the cloudyness

I think it is definetly from your new substrate. The only thing you can do is wait it out. Sorry. It shouldnt be too long though :)

so the filter and stuff should sort it out or will i have to keep doing partial water changes ?

I also would like to know about the floss. My moms tank is perpetually cloudy. She has pink and purple gravel. Its been in there awhile but the tank is never clear.

Did you wash the gravel enough before putting it in the tank? There could always be remaining dust if you didn't do it enough.

did it for ages but iv heard peopple say before you never get it all out lol

I think it was washed enough... I wasnt the one who washed it. So would pwcs eventually get rid off it?

If the water clouds instantly when new substrate is added, it's from the substrate. You can use floss/ hobby fill (white fluffy stuff found in pillows/ stuffed toys etc as long as it doesn't have anything like fire retardants in it) in your filter to collect the small particles. PWC also help.
Godfan - if it has been a while it is a bacteria bloom. Large water changes can help but the bacteria grow quickly and can cloud the new water fast. A uv sterilizer helps kill them reducing the cloud. The only thing you really can do is sit it out. (you really need that test kit to see whats going on in the tank)

If the water clouds instantly when new substrate is added, it's from the substrate. You can use floss/ hobby fill (white fluffy stuff found in pillows/ stuffed toys etc as long as it doesn't have anything like fire retardants in it) in your filter to collect the small particles. PWC also help.
Godfan - if it has been a while it is a bacteria bloom. Large water changes can help but the bacteria grow quickly and can cloud the new water fast. A uv sterilizer helps kill them reducing the cloud. The only thing you really can do is sit it out. (you really need that test kit to see whats going on in the tank)
I know expenses wont allow it at the time though :( When I can afford it I will get one. I cant buy any aquarium stuff for a lil while though......

I know expenses wont allow it at the time though :( When I can afford it I will get one. I cant buy any aquarium stuff for a lil while though......

been there my friend hope all goes well nothing worse than knowing excalty what you want to do with your tank and not having the money to do it

yep. I am determined to end the reign of cloudiness though!

oh i know its so frustrating i want to show my tank of but its not as nice with the cloudyness in it sucks

I just did a HUGE water change! This conversation got me fired up! I also took out the filters airator. It looks better but I messed up alil..... I used water that was too cold....

Heater!? Lmao. I know Pet Supermarket sell a liquid that my boyfriend used on his tank that is just for clearing up cloudy water. I don't know if you would be interested in that...

SammyH2O said:
Heater!? Lmao. I know Pet Supermarket sell a liquid that my boyfriend used on his tank that is just for clearing up cloudy water. I don't know if you would be interested in that...

Not a good idea to be adding unneeded chemicals to a tank.

Back
Top Bottom