cloudy water in a new 10 gallon ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
my mother got a new 10 gallon aquarium and the water is cloudy its only on day 2 of the cycle she is on well water and i did add conditioner by accident would this cause it cause i did set up another 10 for my little brother also with conditioner but hes water is crystal clear they did add fish to soon but anyway any advise?

Sounds like the substrate wasn't cleaned thoroughly if you're only on day 2. A bacteria bloom doesn't normally occor this soon. I would just do a pwc and then get the ammonia back up to 4ppm... assuming this is a fishless cycle

But incase you arent doing a fishless cycle you'll have to continue with 50% water changes daily.after about a week it should clear up, but keep doing the water changes and testing the water parameters.

+1 on testing those parameters.

Even after cleaning gravel, I still get a cloud, but that clears up pretty quick... I too recommend PWCs to get the water clear again.

And invest in an API Master Kit if you can. That will really, really help you see exactly where you're at in your cycle. Just keep at it and don't fret too much about cloudy water.

Are you doing a fishless or fish-in cycle?

IME ive had my tank cloud up about two or three days after. It wasnt that my rocks were not cleaned well, trust me they were, so i would lean more tword a bacteria bloom. If thats so, leaving it be and doing its course will be just fine.

A question though. Fish in or fishless cycle?

To answer the question about the well water, adding conditoner to it will not hurt at all. Do you know what kind of minerals are in the water? Some well water has high lime, which I would tell you to make sure you add a water conditioner to.

it is a fish in cycle so i should keep up my pwc i advised them against a fish in but they both said they dont want to look at an empty tank ergggg anyway i just always did fishless cycling so i dont know to much about fish in i will do a pwc and then test peramiters i will post tonight

Fish-in cycles are more work, more testing and more water changes. With just a fish in there it shouldn't be that hard though. My mother is cycling with a fully tank I advised not but my little sister is to impatient. She does 50% PWC almost daily. What kind of fish is in there? Just wondering if it's a hardy fish.

I did a fish-in cycle, myself. That was mostly because of my newbishness at the time, but my sister just recently moved her Betta from a bowl to a tank I bought her and she too is doing a fish-in cycle.

So long as the fish are pretty hardy, you should be fine. As Tracey said, it's more work, takes longer, and you have to do a lot more testing as you can have ammonia (and eventually nitrIte) spikes a lot faster. I just got my tank cycled after about two months...

i have lots of used media from my tanks which i placed into their filters i tested the waters all 0's except ammonia was 0.6 so i did a 50% pwc in both tanks and both tanks are now clear my mothers tank has 3 platies which are doing excellent and my brother had 2 neons and a dwarf pleco his neons are now dead his pleco is eating sinking shrimp pellets i belive

Neons are a really sensitive fish and really shouldn't be used as a starter... Two neons aren't enough to really have them thrive in a tank either... They're so docile they can get picked on pretty easily.

Sorry to hear about the loss though. I understand it's not your fault.

That is true, but it's no good when it costs something its life unnecessarily, in my opinion. I do hope your family has learned from the experience...

Back
Top Bottom