cloudy water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankiesfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have just set up my first tank, followed the instructions etc but my water has gone cloudy? Any advice on why that is or what I can do to fix it and will it affect my fish when I get them? :confused:

It's just a bacterial bloom. 100% harmless and will go away when the tank ages a little.

What were the instructions that were given to you?

I agree for the possibility of bacterial bloom. It might also be due to the substrate(if it was sand). Usually happens when you use some sort of product known to "boost" the start of a cycle.

Hi all, I have just set up my first tank, followed the instructions etc but my water has gone cloudy? Any advice on why that is or what I can do to fix it and will it affect my fish when I get them? :confused:

Bacterial blooms are very common in newly set up tanks. They are due to the slowly reproducing autotrophic bacteria not being high enough in numbers, causing heterotrophic bactiera to move to the water column and take over nitrification temporarily. These generally go away in a week or so.

thanks!

Thanks for the advice guys. Basically my set up process was to clean the tank with warm water, then wash the stones and decorations etc in warm water then put them in the tank, filled the tank with tap water, added some solution called "fresh start" turned all the pump and everything on to let it establish. They also said I have to wait at least a week before putting any fish in.

I hope you used a dechlorinator in there, too (Seachem Prime is one of the best in terms of value for your dollar).

Check your ammonia and nitrites before adding fish. You want both to be zero.

Back
Top Bottom