Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterSean

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've noticed that my water is starting to cloud up. I've determined it's not algae and believe it's because my filter floss is absolutely spent. I've washed it out several times(in tank water) but it's starting to fall apart. My filter is an in tank 3 stage setup in a 29g biocube. The first stage is my floss, then purigen and last is fluval ceramic "noodles"
I think I should replace the floss and the purigen looks bad too. Can I do this without losing my bb and staring a cycle over again.
Tank is 3 months running, fully cycled. I have 5 white clouds, 2 threadfins and a pleco.
Water chemistry looks fine, pH is 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrate is 20-30.
Thanks

And to add to this, I've done several WCs and it gets cloudy within an hour after. The tap water is fine so I don't think that's a problem.

Well it could be a bacterial bloom but I thought that only happens in a new tank. I'm pretty sure it isn't. By cloudy do you mean milky, like the water is tinted white, or that it is brownish, or greenish, or has lots of little bits of debris in the water? I think purigen needs to be recharged somehow, but you could probably buy a new batch if it looks bad. To replace the floss just add some more floss behind the one that's in there (so the water flows from the old floss to the new) and then take out the old in a few weeks. It's not a big deal, most of the BB is in the noodles anyway (if they're ceramic, which they probably are).

Yeah it's definitely milky, not greenish. I was wondering if I should add more biomedia too.
I think I'll try the floss idea, thanks for the reply!

I was told the Purigen should last about 6 months but it's starting to turn color. I just don't want to pull it out and lose any more bb as I'm sure there is some on there too! Guess I'll start with the floss and see how it goes. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about BB on the purigen. It will last differing amounts of time depending on how much it has to absorb though. For me, it lasts about two months.

Changed the Purigen today and added some new floss to the existing. Hope this takes care of it, I'll keep posted. Thanks for the help!

Came home today and the tank looked like someone dumped milk into it..cloudy again!!
I checked the water and all looked real good. pH normal, no ammonia or nitrites and Nitrate 20ish.
I squeezed out the old floss and it was Green and nasty. I tossed it and will use the new piece that I put in 2 days ago.
Not sure what is going on but had another tetra floating too. Did a HUGE WC , hope it helps this time

Is there something I can add to get rid of what appears to be a bloom?

You can add a UV sterilise but they are not cheap. Follow the water flow from the manufactures preferred water rate. IMO a little slower through the UV will be better than too fast. Not a cheap option but I feel an effective one. My tank is Chrystal clear since installing one. It has other beneficial applications, ridding the tank of free floating algae, a degree of protection from free swimming parasites, control of bacterial bloom and (disputed but some) an improvement in REDOX. I installed one primarily to reduce the need for meds which I cannot use in my setup. I have seen a distinct improvement in fish health and well being - which to be fair may have happened anyway. Hope that is of some help.

From what I know its a bacteria bloom. Don't worry about a uv light because the bloom will pass on its own just be paitent and give it time

It had a similar bloom when I was cycling but crystal clear since. Now it appears to be the same thing again, just concerned and confused as to what could be causing it since my parameters are all good.
I don't think a UV is the way to go at this point considering my tank is usually very clear. Just seems to have happened suddenly and even with an 80% change it's still slightly cloudy.

It had a similar bloom when I was cycling but crystal clear since. Now it appears to be the same thing again, just concerned and confused as to what could be causing it since my parameters are all good.
I don't think a UV is the way to go at this point considering my tank is usually very clear. Just seems to have happened suddenly and even with an 80% change it's still slightly cloudy.
Have you done anything different or added anything new?

I added 5 neon tetras three days ago, 3 had what appeared to be fin rot( which I didn't catch until they were in my tank ) and have died. I have 2 left and they seem fine.
I also changed my purigen because it was exhausted, but that was after I noticed the cloudy water.

I added 5 neon tetras three days ago, 3 had what appeared to be fin rot( which I didn't catch until they were in my tank ) and have died. I have 2 left and they seem fine.
I also changed my purigen because it was exhausted, but that was after I noticed the cloudy water.

Try rechecking your parameters, seems to me like your having a bacteria bloom

Parameters were fine
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20

Water temp 76F

I checked when I got home right away. I also just checked again and it's the same. I'm going to do another WC and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom