Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did when I got home, there was 1 dead fish. But he was fine this morning. Is that enough time to foul up the water, like 6-8 hours maybe?

Just checked it again and I show a trace amt. of ammonia. (<.25)
Did another WC
Confused!!

4 days and still cloudy. No ammonia and water parameters look good.
Starting to think algae instead if bacteria, filter floss turning greenish color.
What now?

No pic necessary, it looks like the last one. I hate to disrupt my filter again though, but it's killing my fish( had another dead one this morning)
I can't understand this, the parameters are fine, tested and re-tested but cloudy water and dead fish??

No pic necessary, it looks like the last one. I hate to disrupt my filter again though, but it's killing my fish( had another dead one this morning)
I can't understand this, the parameters are fine, tested and re-tested but cloudy water and dead fish??

Okay do this. Turn your filter off, take some tank water and put it in a bucket and remove your media and clean everything. Leave the media in the bucket and normally I clean my filter housing and suck up tubes in warm water and make a fresh batch of primed water and dunk it in there and that's like a brand new filter.

Haven't posted in awhile. Long story short, I found it was an algae issue so I purchased so API algaefix from the LFS( which is what they recommended...)didn't fix anything but killed 6 of my fish!!!
Anyone else ever use this garbage?

Oh, man I'm sorry! I heard about that, it's for only planted tanks. As in, no fish in the tank. It's really horrible how they market it.

Says right on the bottle "safe for plants and fish" I even asked the guy if it would kill my fish!!
That's bull!!! I lost over half of my tank since I put this in!!

Says right on the bottle "safe for plants and fish" I even asked the guy if it would kill my fish!!
That's bull***t! I lost over half of my tank since I put this in!! (Sorry for the language)

Chemicals to remove algae never seem to result in anything good. If it was an algae bloom, a uv steralizer would have done the trick or less light periods. I would edit your post and fix that word. And BTW never ever believe a fish store no matter how many times you've been thee or how long you have known them. They are in the business to make money. There are a few that are genuinly there to help but those are a like needles in a hay stack

That's bulls***! I lost over half of my tank since I put this in!! (Sorry for the language)

Oh, I guess not... I have heard about it killing fish though. I guess it doesn't say it right, but it is not meant for fish tanks... clearly. :nono:

And yeah, fix that!

Fixed! It really has me upset because I lost 6 of my original fish. I hate LFS people, they aren't out to help anyone it seems, only making money on selling crap they have no idea what it's for.

Fixed! It really has me upset because I lost 6 of my original fish. I hate LFS people, they aren't out to help anyone it seems, only making money on selling crap they have no idea what it's for.

Yup. For future reference, if its green its algae. If its white its bacterial (possibly micro bubbles)

I definitely think it's algae. My ceramic bio media is starting to turn green, can I clean it or should I leave it alone?

I definitely think it's algae. My ceramic bio media is starting to turn green, can I clean it or should I leave it alone?

I would leave it. The algae inside of your filter won't last long without light (unless it is water-born, if that is even the right terminology).

Seeing as you only have fake plants try this. Turn your lights off and keep them off. Get some black bin liners and wrap around the tank and tape into place. This will create a complete light blackout. Do this for 3 days with no peeking as youll let light in. Algae in water will die off without light for that amount of time. Unless you change 100% of the water during an algae bloom, it will just keep coming back. Much safer than using chemicals. I had to do it on my planted tank. All plants and fish survived. Algae bloom died off
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392650721.354125.jpg

What causes this? I've noticed that even after a WC it comes right back like you said. I've taken everything out and cleaned it, vacuumed the gravel real good too. Very strange because normally my tank is crystal clear

Well algae grows like a plant. So i guess whilst some remains in the water it just keeps spreading again

Back
Top Bottom