Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishylittlenemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I cleaned the gravel and at the same time did a water change. now that was friday night. I know its takes awhile for it to settle, but its been a few days now. Any suggestions on how to clear it up? Any kind of additives to add? Oh yeah and should i add something to the water everytime i do a change??? I have tap water, well water. Thanx alot again.

fishylittlenemo

just need to use a dechlorinator such as chlor out, stress coat, etc. something that removes clorine and chloramine, i also add some stress zyme to add a lil bacertia to the party, thats all i use, a good easy way to do it is save upa few milk jugs, wash them out real good and when you fill your tank back up use those because when you do the chlor out you can do it by gallons instead of the whole tank, like the other chemicals

The cloudiness could be caused by 2 things I can think of.

1) high iron in your well water, how often is your well water tested?

2) a mini cycle if you "thoroughly" cleaned the gravel bed.

Does your town/city have a place you can bring a water sample to get a print out of the water quality (will show all dissolved traces).. I know they used to post printouts up north at spring water sites showing the dissolved solids in the water.

and no, you shouldn't need dechlor with well water, but Prime would help if you have high iron in your well water (It binds metals)

yeah i don't have any chlorine in the water. our water never got tested. i did notice something though, my parents have tea alot and in the pot that they use to biol the water, it has like a white resado in it. i'm not sure what that is in the pot?, but thats whats inside it. i don't know if thats that high iron that was mention by you wizzard or something else. thanx again for your help everybody.

fishylittlenemo

White residue is typically Calcium, a sign of hard water. as you boil water the concentrations get stronger (pure H2O escapes via steam) that is how you distill water, turn the steam back into water, all the impurities are left in the pot.

Is there a place in the town where you can have your well water tested? if not most places that sell water purifiers will test your water as a free thing. this way they can try to sell you some 35,ooo$ water purification system.. it's always best to know what is in your water.. but I would recommend trying Prime.. it's always good to have some on hand for ammonia spikes and such...

Back
Top Bottom