Clown fish eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been working on a special project for work so I haven't really had time to look at the tank much the past 5 or 6 days but this morning while sipping some coffee I came across this. The male, and sometimes the female, fan it and stay close by so I'm wondering if they've laid eggs. How long before they hatch? Everything I've read says this batch won't survive...is that right? Thanks...Steve

Attachments

• egss.jpg
    egss.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 216
They need a dedicated tank to survive. Do you have any other tank mates? Once you see the fish hatch you would need to feed them specific food. So in a general population, they will not survive. Most successful breeders have only the fish and eggs in a tank. But good luck.

+1 to Bige pointing out the need a dedicated tank and special food. They'll need rotifers for the first few days, then newly hatched brine shrimp.
Here is a good site on the topic of raising clownfish.
Breed Clownfish | Saltwater Fish Breeding
I suppose it is possible that a few will survive in your tank on their own, but it seems very unlikely. Still, it's cool to see they're breeding!

I would say absolutely eggs. First few days they are orange then become clearish silvery. If look close you can see 2 eyes form about day 4. They hatch on the 8th or 9th night.

MacDracor said:
+1 to Bige pointing out the need a dedicated tank and special food. They'll need rotifers for the first few days, then newly hatched brine shrimp.
Here is a good site on the topic of raising clownfish.
Breed Clownfish | Saltwater Fish Breeding
I suppose it is possible that a few will survive in your tank on their own, but it seems very unlikely. Still, it's cool to see they're breeding!

I disagree with any surviving. I have had about 10 batches and none have survived in tank. Of course I get all setup with rotifers and breed tank rdy to go and they havnt spawned in 2 months now.

I disagree with any surviving. I have had about 10 batches and none have survived in tank. Of course I get all setup with rotifers and breed tank rdy to go and they havnt spawned in 2 months now.

All I said was that it was possible. I certainly wasn't laying odds or making promises. I try to avoid absolutes, because there's usually someone out there who has an exceptional story to disprove "always" and "never".

Back
Top Bottom