Clown not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my first clown in yesterday. I put him in and he isn't eating. He'll see the food and dart for it but stop and turn around half way.

Nitrate-40 I can't seem to get it to drop more than this with 10% water changes weekly, do I need to do more water changes?

Nitrite-0
SG-1.26
PH-8.2

Clowns can not eat for up to 2 weeks. :roll: Most of the time they are ok but to be on the safe side I'd get some garlic extreme and soak the food in it. On the water canges I'd go to doing 20 to 25% a week and see if it will drop.

Emporer Bio-wheel (not sure what model but big enough)
Actually here is the problem, Get the bio wheels off the filter. In a Sw setting they become a nitrate factory. Take them off for a week and then test your water, I'll bet the nitrates will drop.

dralarms said:
Emporer Bio-wheel (not sure what model but big enough)
Actually here is the problem, Get the bio wheels off the filter. In a Sw setting they become a nitrate factory. Take them off for a week and then test your water, I'll bet the nitrates will drop.

It would be ok to take it off with only 36 lbs of live rock? I've heard that you need around 2lbs per gallon to take it off.

3 times a day, I feed just about enough the fish can eat within 2-3 mins somtimes a little more for my hermits, and star

To be safe, remove 1 now and remove the other a week from now. That is definitely enough LR (though more would not hurt), I have around the same ratio in my 45g - I removed the biowheels and slowly but surely the nitrates dropped to <5. It might take a day or so before the clown eats, this is normal.

I can promise you that this is your problem with the nitrates. Feedings must cut back. You will never get your nitrates under control with 3 feedings a day.Been feeding mine once every other day for 8 years with 0 nitrates, no algea and no cyno. Where`s the wood to knock on!! They don`t need that much food. Have a good day

Back
Top Bottom