Clown pleco substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smudgeboss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening.

We have had our 10 gal tank with gold skirt tetras in it for a number of months now and all seems to be going well. We have a regular pleco from the local fish store for the algae and he is getting huge. He started out about an inch and is now about 5 inches long. I am concerned that as he grows we will be out of order on the 2 inches /gallon guideline.

I have talked to a few fish stores here and in the city about getting a clown pleco but it seems that they are VERY hard to get.

Is there a substitute? Something that will eat the algae and left over food, something that will get along with the tetras, and will stay down to 2 to 2.5 inches like a clown pleco would?

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks

I haven't seen the bristlenose pleco in local stores. Are they more common than the clown or will I have the same problems getting one? 4 inches isn't too bad.

They may indeed be rare in your parts (I didn't take your location into account). We've actually had a member who was temporarily residing in Canada, come all the way back to NY and return with some of them for a Canadian member.

YAY a pleco thread. :)
Mind if I ask.... what are those pretty black & white swirly pattern plecos I've seen pix of? Do they stay small?

hmmmm... 6" long and doesn't get along with Corys. PRETTY but not good for my current set-up. Maybe someday when I upgrade......

I've heard that Bulldog Plecos and Rubberlip Plecos are really good algae eaters that stay in the 2" - 3" range. They'll probably be harder to get ahold of than the Bristlenose Plecos though.

if you have a petco nearby thats almost a guarenteed clown pleco/bristlenose, from what ive seen. but the petco and petsmart around here have been deteriorating, fishwise

krap101 said:
if you have a petco nearby thats almost a guarenteed clown pleco/bristlenose, from what ive seen. but the petco and petsmart around here have been deteriorating, fishwise

The one by me has had lots of rubberlip plecos, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom