Clown Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjkelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Clown pleco in my 10 gallon tank and I just added a nice piece of driftwood last night. I have had him a little over a week. He has pretty much hid out in my rocks. I had been feeding him some wafers not the algae type..I also tried some Zuchinni.But I am not sure he tried it...I am just not sure he is eating anything..after I added the driftwood last night he finally came out from the rocks. Is there anything else maybe to try and feed him ?

thanks

Shrimp pellets, carnivore pellets, algae wafers, but it should be eating the algae in the tank (if there is any, it grows naturally) and any food that accumulates on the bottom (flakes). Plecos are nocturnal, some more than others but they prefer to eat at night so try feeding then.

its not uncommon for plecos to take a while to adjust to a new tank. WHen I got my rubbernose, I didn't see it for the first three days, and then even now I rarely see it unless I have the lights off at night and I'm sitting here at the computer.

taken from www.planetcatfish.com
A wood-eating fish, the tank should be decorated with several different types of driftwood. These fish really like to have something to chew on and squash, cucumber, and other vegetables should be readily available to them (yams are a favourite). Supplement two to three times weekly with frozen foods.

I may be wrong, but I thought that Clown Pleco's didn't eat algae. I was going to buy one because of their small size but I read online that they don't eat algae.

FF, my clown pleco eats algae. mjkelly, don't expect to see yours too often! :lol: I've had mine for a year and a half and I hardly ever see it, it just sits in its cave all day and comes out at night. And you were right to put driftwood in your tank, as your clown pleco will rasp on it. I've still never caught mine doing that though... :lol:

I posted a question on here a couple weeks (maybe a month) ago and everyone told me that they won't make good algae eaters. :(

Can't believe I didn't post this earlier. This is the only pic I have been able to get of my clown pleco that was halfway in focus. :roll: So cute!
img_346682_0_28e96b5189379cbdb73ed4a04ecdc418.jpg

Nice Pics Jchillin and Severum Mama. What i did with my plecos is i would take out the rocks and take pics of them hwen they were in the open.

A good many Plecos never seem to eat and do fine. Mine love shrimp pellets and zuccini. Algae eating seems to be an individual thing among Plecos, sometimes introducing Otocinculus Cats or Algae eaters seems to encourage them...

Well,
I finally saw my Clown Pleco ..he has come out of his cave..He was on the diftwood the other night..if i trun off the lights he will come out..I will try and get a picture..He's awsome looking..

Back
Top Bottom