clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris ) sexing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
just wondering. When I go to pick 2 of these up when my tank is ready I want to get a male and female for abvoius reason. I will ask the guy at store to give me one of each but how do I tell them apart so I know I'm getting what I ask for and not 2 random fish he grabs.

You can't. Generally the female is larger but that's no guarantee. Get two very small clowns, these should be neutral or males. Over time one of them will grow and change to female. It's the only sure way I know of to get a pair unless you buy a proven breeding pair. Good luck.

fluff is right on, go with small ones. Otherwise, you will probably pay more if they will even sell a breeding pair.

These guys are dead on from what i understand. There is a great reef store by my house that gets true perc pairs all the time. I should be getting a phone call tomorrow to go and pick them up, should be 40-50 dollars for the pair. Taking in my 5 green chromis, contemplating putting them in the mantis shrimp tanks. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom