Co2 in planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karlos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
An anyone offer me advice on whether adding a compressed co2 system is worth while. Also could someone offer advice on how it would affect my parameters ph etc.

It all depends on what your setup looks like. What size light and what plants will help us. Co2 will effect your water params.

Co2 will soften you water slightly

In poorly buffered water, this can cause a drop in pH (typically during the night b/c of no photosynthetic activities).

Co2 can dissolve into water creating carbonic acid:

Co2 + H20 <--> H2Co3

hence lowering the pH

It is a 4 ft 200l tank It has been running for 8 years has a aqua one 1250 which cycles 1450L p/h. It is quite heavily planted as I have catfish/synodontis(2) khulie loach(5) and dwarf puffers(12)

CO2 will lower the pH, more so in soft water, but it will not affect your water's hardness.

You water's hardness IS the buffer.

The #1 question to answer when deciding what your CO2 demands are is how much light you have. In reality, any planted system will benefit from CO2 injection, but you get a inversely dimminishing return with lower light systems, ie, less light, less return on more CO2.

So am I safe to say if I add one it should only be on when the light is on and it will more than likely lower my ph. How can I raise my ph without use of chemicals as I have always tried to keep additives to a minimum.

nice tank. What are you using for lighting?

side note: a black background would really bring out those plants.

Some if those plants are nonaquatic. Specifically, the one with the white borders is called a white ribbon and is commonly sold to unknowing customers. Can see some of the other ones to tell on them.

It just has a Arcadia light unit with plant growing fluorescent strip light in the lid. I have another light unit would it be worth while adding another kind? I have seen more fancy lighting units with 2 different tubes in. Noted about black background I am getting round to getting backing but am liking the idea of 3d rocks and roots backing to add depth.

aqua_chem said:
CO2 will lower the pH, more so in soft water, but it will not affect your water's hardness.

You water's hardness IS the buffer.

The #1 question to answer when deciding what your CO2 demands are is how much light you have. In reality, any planted system will benefit from CO2 injection, but you get a inversely dimminishing return with lower light systems, ie, less light, less return on more CO2.

I am starting to get this now. I will have to get a water hardness test before I consider as I haven't a clue it is soft water where I live but I have rocks so this will affect it.

I disagree. CO2 directly effects the waters KH, thats why you test KH to check CO2 levels

CO2 Chart

You check the KH because as the primary buffer of the system, it dictates how much you pH drops through the following equations:

H2CO3 --> HCO3- + H+
HCO3- --> CO3-- + H+

If anything, the carbonic acid you generate from injecting CO2 actually RAISES the KH, but the amount is does so is negligible next to the natural carbonates present in water.

aqua_chem said:
Some if those plants are nonaquatic. Specifically, the one with the white borders is called a white ribbon and is commonly sold to unknowing customers. Can see some of the other ones to tell on them.

I suspected this as it is dying at an outstanding rate! I only bought to encourage the puffers into the upper waters to split them up more. I won't be buying again.

Thankyou everyone you have helped me understand where it is I need to be focusing my research on this subject,namely learning more about KH. I also think I need to acquire the relevant tests for KH and co2 before I invest. Thanks again!

Actually, I would recommend you look into drop checkers as a way to monitor co2 levels. The KH method is formulated under ideal circumstances and can be distorted by several things, such as driftwood or tannins.

Ok yeah I have seen these on eBay before coupled with a ph monitor?

They are these little glass bell looking things with a suction cup and some colored fluid inside them. The colored fluid is actually a solution of 4 dKH water and normal pH drops. It is blue when you have subpar co2 levels, green at the recommended level, and yellow when it's too high.

My pleasure. If in the future you have any questions at all, feel free to ask them have the planted tanks section. We have a whole heap of helpful members that would be more than helpful to get you sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom