Colombian shark advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericaa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few days ago my girlfriend went out and picked up a Colombian Shark from the local pet store. My tank has only recently finished a fishless cycle and I hadn't really decided on what kind of fish I wanted yet but I came home and this little guy was in the tank. The salesperson my girl spoke to gave her TERRIBLE advice about this fish. I have a 36 gallon set up which the salesperson assured her this "freshwater" fish would do fine in. After some research I've learned he is a brackish water fish and needs a much larger tank (I'm planning on upgrading to a 75 gallon in April). This is my first time keeping fish so a brackish water fish isn't really what I was looking for but I'm definitely going to keep him. Enough background...
The first few days he was fine. Eating normally, swimming happily along the bottom/middle of the tank. The last two days he hasn't eat too much. He nips at food when put in the tank but doesn't really show any interest. I have tropical flakes, bloodworms, and sinking pellets but he just seems to have no interest in eating. Also he has started racing along the top of the tank. He did this for a bit on the first day but for the last two days he has been racing around the top non-stop for hours on end. Any clue as to what could be wrong with him? I did a water test and everything is coming back fine with the exception of a small spike in ammonia (.25ppm showing up on my test). He's got plently of plants, lacking enough hiding places but I'm working on that. Could it be that he needs a tankmate? He's all by himself in there. Or is this just normal behavior for this fish? The way he races around the top of the tank non-stop concerns me. Seems like he's gonna give himself a heart attack! Help!

It sounds normal and acting just like mine. Can you post a video to make sure? Mine is in freshwater and it is fine other than he is pretty aggressive. I think you better take it back to the lfs. I have mine in a 180g and I'm ready to re home mine and ive only had it for a little over a year. I got it when it was about 2.5" and its probably 7" now. From what ive read they will eat others if it will fit in its mouth. I figured for me at least it won't be long before that happens

Back
Top Bottom