Color-Changing Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BirdBoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Around two years ago, one of my guppies gave birth to a color changing guppy. His main color was yellow, but his tail would change to sky blue, pink, orange, black, white, and even different designs, like yellow with a black spot. He was truly amazing, but all my guppies died in the pond when I put them in there for the summer. (They breed faster in ponds.)
Well, I saw a few at the San Diego zoo, in the snapping turtle tank. You see, the trait only appears in feeder guppies. The best way to tell if they contain the trait is if their tails are fully yellow. One is bound to hold the trait. I'm asking anyone who reads this to look for them. If a color changing strain is established, and bred with fancy's, the most amazing strain can become available to everyone.
Also, I need a name for this guppy. I was thinking spectrum guppy, but if someone can think of a better name, please let me know.
Thanks

You said you had these guppies 2 years ago and also saw them at the zoo. Believe me, by now they have already been named by the person who discovered or cross-bred them.

Good luck with your search, tho. I see you have been looking for them in numerous forums without anyone else ever hearing of them.

They have been talked about in a couple of forums. They are extremely rare and normally the color changing trait only shows in feeder guppies. There have been a few reports I've seen on other forums about the trait showing in male fancy guppies. but it's still pretty rare. If you find another one let me know! Apparently when crossbred with other guppies, they make extremely beautiful and unique coloration patterns (although they rarely have the color changing gene. I'll let you know if I find the post again where I read this (it was on another site).

No one else had said anything before mine about a color changer. I used him for a science project to try and breed more and figure out what made it change color. He was a "feeder guppy" so he could be a mixed guppy or a wild guppy. The trait only appears in guppies, or as far as I can tell. I got the mother from a pet store, that is now closed. He got his feeder guppies from his friend who just threw a bunch of guppies and other livebearers in a pond and let them breed like crazy. To my knowledge, guppies don't interbreed with other livebearers. (Correct me if I'm wrong). It is very hard to believe that I was the first person to find a guppy that is unbelievable. I've researched a lot, trying to find another account. All I found was guppy breeding behavior and age color change. Mine would change constantly, and would always return to his regular yellow color. He wouldn't just do it around females, either. He wasn't the biggest of the batch, and he couldn't compete with the other male I had.
But there is one thing I need to throw out here. He was my second guppy that was born male. The other one came from the same female. Both were similar in color, but the first did not change color, and was orange.
I really just want people to find them, so start looking, please. I could care less if I had the first one, but the name is pretty cool.

Why don't you call the San Diego Zoo then? I'm sure they have more information about them than anyone on here.

I have been posting on other sites under birdboy5, so It's good that the word is getting around. Also, they were in the snapping turtle tank, as in food. They weren't part of the exhibit at the zoo. Maybe one day they might.

I've got metallic blue guppies that will throw a color changer once in a while. They've got a recessive red gene. Some just have red tails, but I've got some that look different depending on the viewing angle. The tails flash back and forth between red and blue. It's subtle, but it'll mess with your head.

Back
Top Bottom