Color VS Fin Shape & Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Color VS Fin Shape & Size

• Color

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Fin Shape & Size

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Njk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering while I was at work today which is more important. Let's say you're looking at average guppies is color more of a factor in choosing a guppy OR does fin shape & size make the difference? I'm sure it's mostly a personal preference.

For me it's more of a color thing as long the fish is healthy.

Nate

So my family got into guppy breeding accidentally, and the first brood was in August. We sell or trade most of the fry, although we have one female from that first brood. She's still developing more color at more than four months old.

We actually had one of the males until last week, and his tail was still getting more impressive by the day. He knew he was pretty, though, and he had to be sure everyone else knew it, too.

Given that I am still seeing such obvious developments at the age when most fish stores carry them, I would expect a tail to get bigger and colors to get more interesting.

When I'm sitting and watching them? Color.

Depends on what you want to do with them. Personally I just pick interesting ones, whether that be a certain pattern, interesting tail/fins, coloration. Sometimes it depends on what I already have going on in the tank, are the males starting to run towards red and black? I choose something blue and green.

I do always try to go for females with color though, they throw better males it seems. Sadly walmart of all places around her had the most beautiful females but now they only carry males :(

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have mostly Cichlids, and have never had guppies except for a few Endler's in a small, table-top tank a few years ago, but I always stop to admire the guppies I see in tanks at LFS. I especially like the snakeskin varieties. Isn't it usually a combination of coloration and fin & tail size that's so appealing about them?

Yes, but for me color is what I look at first then fins. A guppy with the most beautiful fins but bland colors doesn't impress people, unless you're one of us crazy fish nerds. Lol.
My wife doesn't know nor care about fins, but if it looks pretty then she'll give them the time of day.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom