Colored skirt tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank which is new I have just gotten 4 zebra danio (I plan on getting 3-4 more on Wednesday the lfs only had 4).

I saw some colored skirt tetras which my wife really liked. Would they be ok with zebras? Would a school of 6 fit in my tank? The lady at the store said they don't get much bigger than they are but I find that hard to believe.

My other choice was the glolight tetras or neons.

I was also planning on getting some Cory cats also.

Anyone have any experience with the skirt tetras?

I have white skirt and black skirt tetras with zebra danios and they're fine together, but you should really get at least 6 of them. I don't know if it would be good to have that many fish in a 20 gallon if you're already planning on getting corys since you should have at least 4 of those together.

I think if the tank if filtered and you stick on top of water changes you should be able to do it

Bioload wise you would be ok....if you were really on top of water changes. BUT, skirt tetras should really have more space. Zebra danios get to a little over 2 inches, as do the skirt tetras. They really wouldn't be comfortable in there. I had 9 in my 29, and I rehomed them because it really wasn't enough space.

When you say "colored" skirt tetras, do you mean the painted ones? You should steer clear of those fish as they are not healthy. They are died that color, which isn't good for the fish.

I have a 20 gallon tank which is new I have just gotten 4 zebra danio (I plan on getting 3-4 more on Wednesday the lfs only had 4).

I saw some colored skirt tetras which my wife really liked. Would they be ok with zebras? Would a school of 6 fit in my tank? The lady at the store said they don't get much bigger than they are but I find that hard to believe.

My other choice was the glolight tetras or neons.

I was also planning on getting some Cory cats also.

Colored ? Do you mean regular or White ? Or artificially and cruelly dyed fish ? Please avoid dyed fish. The color fades, it's cruel and they often have shorter lives. Even Color Fed fish lose their color.

Oh no....those are the dyed fish. Don't buy those. You will regret it if you do. That color won't stay, and they are short lived.

I'm not sure I believe the bull about having to have at least 4 corys for them to be happy. I have three corys in my 30g and two corys in my 16g guppy tank. The two in the 16g have just as big of smiles on their faces and dance around in joy just as well as the 3 in the 30g. LOL.

Colored skirt tetras are usually white with hints of blue, green, or pink. These are dyed and really should be avoided.

White skirts may get some pink as they age.

True, but it's not their whole body and you don't normally see a tank full of them. Just the fact that they are labeled "colored skirt tetras" makes me suspect.

Yes it just says colored tetras on the tank I assume they are dyed. I will try and take a picture when I go back there.

I would avoid those. You can post a pic anyway to be sure.

Dyed skirt tetras are usually sold as berry tetras, tuti fruti tetras, or painted tetras.

I've seen them called many different things besides those names. Doesn't matter what they are called, you should still avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom