Colorful Disagreement.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon tank that I am going to make a South American biotope. I had my stock all planned out and nicely refined. But yesterday after the events of going to a large aquarium store and going to a doctors office my mother and sister don't want certain fish and switched others. I need to appease them for future tanks...
Here was the stock:
2 Bolivian Rams
7 hatchetfish
8 penguin tetras
8 red eye tetras
1 angelfish
8-10 peppered cories
a variety of shrimp
and a few snails.

But my mother and sister don't like the 2 tetras, want GBRs, would like another angelfish.

I'm scared that if we get the other angelfish that they will pair, and with my luck they would. Are GBRs that much more hard to keep than Bolivians? I would still consider myself a newbie to fish considering I haven't dipped my feet into the less hardy fish, considering the most delicate fish I've had are peppered corydoras. Any tips? Also ideas for colorful fish for the replacement of the penguins would be great!

Thanks for reading this!

AquaKai said:
I have a 55 gallon tank that I am going to make a South American biotope. I had my stock all planned out and nicely refined. But yesterday after the events of going to a large aquarium store and going to a doctors office my mother and sister don't want certain fish and switched others. I need to appease them for future tanks...
Here was the stock:
2 Bolivian Rams
7 hatchetfish
8 penguin tetras
8 red eye tetras
1 angelfish
8-10 peppered cories
a variety of shrimp
and a few snails.

But my mother and sister don't like the 2 tetras, want GBRs, would like another angelfish.

I'm scared that if we get the other angelfish that they will pair, and with my luck they would. Are GBRs that much more hard to keep than Bolivians? I would still consider myself a newbie to fish considering I haven't dipped my feet into the less hardy fish, considering the most delicate fish I've had are peppered corydoras. Any tips? Also ideas for colorful fish for the replacement of the penguins would be great!

Thanks for reading this!

The angels could possibly pair but thats not set in stone unless you get one that is proven to be a pair.

GBRs are not that hard to keep when given the right water conditions and kept in clean water. They seem hardier than neon tetras IME.

Similar looking to tetras are lemons, bloodfins, colombians and black phantoms.

The angels could possibly pair but thats not set in stone unless you get one that is proven to be a pair.

GBRs are not that hard to keep when given the right water conditions and kept in clean water. They seem hardier than neon tetras IME.

Similar looking to tetras are lemons, bloodfins, colombians and black phantoms.

With my luck they probably would pair up...
Thanks for the info on the GBR, I've had neons before but they only lasted probably a year and a half, but then again I was 8...
I'll look into all of those! Another quick question on tetras, would diamonds work? Because they a so sparkly, and my sister and I loved them!

AquaKai said:
With my luck they probably would pair up...
Thanks for the info on the GBR, I've had neons before but they only lasted probably a year and a half, but then again I was 8...
I'll look into all of those! Another quick question on tetras, would diamonds work? Because they a so sparkly, and my sister and I loved them!

Be ready for babies! Lol

Neons are beautiful but they die on me every year, it's like they taunt me. I buy them, they're fine six months and then they mysteriously die and I end up trying to replace them.

Yes diamond tetras can work.

Sounds like an awesome tank idea! I also want to do a huge amazon biotope (like 125-150g) in the future! I personally love penguin tetras, but you could get another angelfish and replace the penguins with another school of more colorful tetras.
Here are some that I think your family would like (and some of my personal favorites): Blue tetras ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Boehlkea fredcochui[/FONT]), Bleeding heart tetras ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma), Long fin serpae tetra ([/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Hyphessobrycon callistus)
The blue tetras would probably look best in your setup!
[/FONT]

Cool that's great! I'll look into those blue ones. I think that would look good too! Thanks for the names!

Rummy Nose Tetras. They school tightly.
Emperor Tetras, lovely fish.

Careful of Serpae Tetras, they can be fin nippers (spell check tried to make nippers into muppets LOL )

Glowlight Tetras are an old favorite.

+1 Bleeding Heart Tetras.

I like the bleeding hearts and the rummynose tetras. However try don't really like the rummynoses, but that may be the winner:). I really like the look of Inpaichthys kerri - Purple Emperor Tetra. I just hope I could find some:)

Back
Top Bottom