Columnaris Triple Sulfa didn't work. What next Jungle Fungus or Furan 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, wc & you should be ready for new meds. Just a reminder to keep a close eye on your parameters because the meds may wreak havoc on your bb.

Well I started Furan2 and Klanaplex last night. My ammonia read .5 this am. I am not due to put Kanaplex i again for another 24 hrs.

Should I just hang in there and hope it doesn't go above that before tomorrow? The kanaplex can still be active and if I change the water it may lessen the meds. And I don't' want to double dose. Any opinions?

Thanks

.5 at the moment

I'm concerned about changing the water on a day I'm not adding kanaplex.

Do you have prime? Add dose for your tank size. It will keep ammonia in check until tomorrow evening (unless it goes beyond 2ppm).

Tonight was the last dose of Furan 2 tomorrow is the last dose of kanaplex. The water is at 1 tsp per gallon of salt. No improvement no decline.

Any opinions as to what to do next? I have Jungle Fungus, Maracyn-2 I can try those or do the Kanaplex (and maybe Furan-2 again). I know Kanaplex can be reduced.

I was also reading about PolyGuard on the seachem website.

Can I up the salt (neon tetras and black neons are in the tank) I have been reading that this is a freshwater disease?

Thanks all for the help.

Ok, you have salt at @.1% (1tsp/g). I am a bit suprised theres been no change. I would do a second course of meds (kan/furan) and double the kan dose for the course of treatment. The minocycline will do nothing if this course of meds hasnt helped. The jungle fungus has 2 mild antibiotics in it plus potassium dichromate (fungus med). If theres no change after the 2nd course of meds, you can try the jungle meds & see what happens.

Yes salt is at 1 tsp per gallon.

I will repeat Kanaplex and Furan. 3rd dose of Kanaplex it tonight. Bottle says max of 3 doses and this will be it. Is it ok to repeat ? I think I remember seeing that on their site and will go check again.

There are a few fish with what looks like a pimple on a bottom lip and the one with the white upper lip. I really haven't gotten a good pic at all. The spot is so small and the fish is so small and fast LOL.

Should I clean the tank in between with a carbon filter or jump back into the second cycle?

I saw that there is a lot of promise to a medicated bath of Potassium Permanganate and Malachite Green (I think). I was tempted to do that. I am not sure how dabbing peroxide on a neons lip would go! LOL.

Maybe its not a bacteria? but it is not fuzzy. Sigh

A water change & start a second round of meds. No need for carbon because you are using the same meds. Potassium permg is potent stuff- you do not want to mix this with anything else. If you would like to try doing some dips/baths during treatment, I would opt for methylene blue. This will help with both bacteria & fungus. Keep us posted!

Should I give all of them medicated baths in a bucket or just the ones with more obvious symptoms?

Also do you know how tetras would faire in a .03% salt addition? I was reading a report that said some catfish were cured from Columnaris at that dilution but that seems awful high.

Hmm...I would start with the affected fish & see how they fair with the dip before considering dipping everyone. I dont know how tetras would fair with an increased amount salinity because I have no experience with them. Perhaps, Mumma would be able to answer this!

Looks like no dipping (at least for now). LFS says not to because of stress plus no one in town carries Methelyne Blue. At least the fish stores don't. Apparantly the teacher supply stores may.

The manager at one of the stores said that if the next round of furan-2 and kanaplex doesn't work to try Maroxy. Opinions?

You can check online for methylene blue- amazon sells it & its also commonly sold under the Kordon products brand which some Petsmarts/petcos carry (but not all). Angelsplus sells methylene blue powder. I have never used maroxy before (stabilized chlorine product) so I cant offer any opinions on its effectiveness but your welcome to try it.

I'm really tempted to stop the antibiotics since they aren't making much difference I noticed that one of the fish has more white on his mouth so it could be slowly spreading.

IF this is Columnaris wouldn't it be moving faster? I have had them for 3 weeks.

Well, atleast finish full course of meds & run carbon/water change before switching to something new. If its spreading, then it may be time to try something else.

Full first course or the rest of a second course? I got a picture but it isn't very good :/

I just can't tell. Right now their gills seem inflamed and 2 of the neons are hiding a lot of the time. They aren't even the worse two. They are all eating and all else seems normal. Some have a bump on their lips and 2 have the white strip.

Frustrating. Thanks for helping out though!
Jana

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 73
Full first course- I know you did a full course of furan but I think you are on the last day or 2nd to last of day of the kan? If so, you can try switching tomorrow to either the jungle stuff or maroxy & see what happens. I am sorry your having such a hard time!

I'm having a hard time deciding and going back and forth. What would you do JLK?

Since it is slow moving I can probably afford another cycle of antibiotics then do fungal

Or just stop antibiotics and try fungal?

Back
Top Bottom