common pleco looks funky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Discoloration has been there since a month after we got him. At first I chalked it up to growth, but I haven't seen any improvement. He eats hikari spiralina wafers and cucumbers , zucinni and such. (when they let him eat) and I keep up with my maintenance like clockwork. He shows no sign of illness, hes active, hungry, and in general seems healthy aside from the splotchiness. Params are as follows
Ph-7.6
Ammo - 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20 (its water change day)

Also would like to add that I am already looking for him a new home when he starts looking healthier . My husband just HAD to have him and despite my protests, he got his way. So meet Nessy. Any ideas what's up with these patches??

2012-06-24_10-38-09-510.jpg

Ive had plecs before that looked similar with patches. But as far as I was aware this is a camouflage effect rather than an illness or anything. Unless the scales are flaky or there is other reasons for concern I wouldn't worry.

Someone might know different tho .

My pleco has the same patches. She eats and act normal, but i did notice something. She was first in a tank with brown / grey gravel, and she was one color. When i moved her into my 55 g which has white PFS she started getting these patches. So i guess its a defense thing so they blend in.

This just happens ocationally, Late at night when the lights off for hours and you turn it on in the middle of the night most fish look white-ish.. Totally normal

My pleco has those same patches!! I suspect it was him trying to blend in as best he could to the surrounding gravel.

Attachments

• image-4015223382.jpg
    image-4015223382.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 76
Mine isn't as light colored though. And it does seem to change a bit.

So, I put a big piece of driftwood into my aquarium lastnight and today my pleco is much darker. It must be a camouflage thing.

yep just a cammo thing. my gold spot dose the same thing. just keep an eye out as they will also discolour with stress but there isnt alot that will stress a pleco

NekoOo said:
So, I put a big piece of driftwood into my aquarium lastnight and today my pleco is much darker. It must be a camouflage thing.

I wish I had paid attention to him when I put my dw in my tank. I do however notice that depending on what area of the tank he's in that his color does a good bit of changing. Its crazy now that I'm noticing it! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom