compatibility of oto's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasRipley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone!
haven't posted in a while...i have in my 55 gal planted tank:
9 harlequin rasboras
2 pearl gouramis
1 rainbow shark
1 angel fish
8 albino cories
2 neon tetras
3 cardinal tetras

I was wanting to add 4 or 5 otos to that mix and that would be all in that tank. my water is very clean. i do a PWC every week and a compleate fileter cleaning and tear down once a month. what do you guys think?? thanks!

From compatibility perspective, you are going to be ok with your previous mix. Keep in mind though, they are going to be sensitive when you introduce them into your tank for the first time. Don't be surprised if you loose a few - that seems to happen to me even in a mature tank.

I'm sure you are aware already but you could use few more of those Neons and Cardinals. :)

yea i know about needing more cardinals and neons...thier mortality rate is so high though and i hate loosing fish. i originlay had 7 cardinals and 7 neons. and that is why i'm hesitating on the otos too. my tank has been runing for a year now and like you said even in fully mature tanks they have a high rate of mortality. thanks!

If someone breed neons or cardinals (or oto for that matter), I would buy them without even thinking. I doubt that will ever happen though. :)

Try to pick Otos from the lfs that have more rounded bellies. Those are usually healthier. Stay away from the skinny ones. If you are wanting 4-5, I'd probably buy 5-6 of them, since you will likely lose atleast a couple.

Back
Top Bottom