compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so here is my tank.

its a 75 gallon.

i currently have 3 small electric yellow, 2 jewels and a purple parrot

i was wondering if i can mix a couple male peacocks and a pair of super red empress.

will they get along?

If your tank is working I wouldn't put peacocks in with Jewels. But the Electric yellows, peacocks and red empress are definitely compatible.

360, have any of your fish bred yet? Its generally not recommended to mix South American (the Jewels) with African (the electric yellows) cichlids; although I have done it in the past with some success as well. Reason I ask is that the electric yellows are mouth brooders, while the jewels are egg layers. The jewels, if they pair up and breed will become very aggressive in defending their nest - I would expect that they would dominate the 4' tank. I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about parrots, beyond that fact that they are a hybrid of some sort (or at least thats what I think I remember reading about them). As mattox said, the E. yellows, peacocks, and red empress is a much better combo (all are African mouth brooders).

But not rift lake mouth brooders.

Substrate spawners tank more tank room due to agression when breeding, and can get very agressive.

Parrot is of South American origin.

i found some red empress about 1.5 inches long. can i tell which are male and which are female? they all seem to have no color

You wont know until the male starts to color up. When he does it will be obvious. First thing you usually notice is the face turning shiny blue. You might also notice some red in the fins early on.

i bought 2. one has egg spots and the other doesnt.

but both have orange on the tips of their top fin

Egg spots are not always a dependable way to differentiate between male and female. I have several females with eggspots.

Back
Top Bottom