concerned & confused about test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I did it and as far as I can tell they still look the same in color? Here's pics what do you think?
Oops first pic was set up. I touched the wrong one sorry
This one should be it. (darn phone)
I only tested the nitrates this time.

Attachments

• image-1941465598.jpg
    image-1941465598.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image-1905364638.jpg
    image-1905364638.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 32
Does it? Cause it looks like 80 and 40 to me still? I'm doing it again with even less tank water to see if that makes a bigger difference.

Judging by this last test I'm thinking Navyboys experiment is a success. I have a crap load more of water changes ahead of me.
Thank you everyone for all your help and mostly for helping keep my sanity during this. I think I'll start with another 50% tonight and do another in the morning? I still don't know what caused this spike :-( At least I know now that my test kit is good though.

Attachments

• image-2784083607.jpg
    image-2784083607.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
generally yes, you would see fish issues with nitrate levels over 30ppm. While that is pretty standered there was a test done by Gambusia in Florida springs that shows reproduction levels reduced in as much as 1.5ppm, they have also show some cat fish habiting a tank with lvls over 100ppm for more then a year. Either way, we have got to get those levels down, and just as importantly, find out why they were so high.

Well these guys have shown no signs of discomfort at all. I'm wondering just how long they've been living in those levels, my other kit NEVER picked up on it at all!? This has been since thursday of last week. (As far as the other kit showed.)I'm doing water changes as we speak(type) trying to get the levels down. The 80 shouldn't take as many as the 65 cause it was registering as lower. Good thing I took water from both the 65 and the 46 to fill the 80. Note to self *check levels BEFORE using water next time.*

Gotcha! Sorry I'm still learning, I think in this hobby anyone who says they know it all doesn't really ;-)

Mlani said:
Gotcha! Sorry I'm still learning, I think in this hobby anyone who says they know it all doesn't really ;-)

Ok that came out wrong, I just meant there's so many elements that contribute to the environment in these tanks that it would be pretty slim that one person could figure out every possible scenario involved in it. I didn't mean to say that people don't know their stuff just that sometimes it takes the minds of many to figure certain things out in this hobby. Does that sound better? Not as pompous?

well, instead of replacing ALL your water, which requires alot of extra work, do a handful of PWC`s, to to get the lvls down to where there acceptable and add plants :cool:
especially those i suggested because you can leave them grouped together and move them tank to tank.
Even if u stick with plastic im really glad you have the problem resolved!

Update, after 8 more pwc my levels are in the 40's! Still now where I want them to be but getting closer ;-) I'm still puzzled as to what caused this, I'm thinking either the dragons hide away that I disturbed, or the possibility that my old test kit sucked? Lol! There's no way (or is there?) that my levels spiked this much in such a short time span?

Im glad your nitrates are back under control.
And if you have no place for nitrates to go (aka plants) then yes it was probably your old test kit.
over a span of time nitrates could have been building higher and higher while you got low readings.

That conclusion seems to make the most sense to me. I'm so thankful for the feedback/ideas and support while trying to figure this one out. There's no way I would've thought of it on my own! Now hopefully I don't have to go through this again. Lol! Navyboy, how's your water doing? Still want a filter? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom