Confessions Of A Young, Rookie Aquarist.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlefish4

Aquarium Advice Activist
As you can tell by the title, I have made some mistakes. But first let me give you some data.

29G with live plants

Opaline Gourami
Angelfish
2 Otos

8 week old tank, made my first rookie mistake by doing fish in cycling. My opaline has been in tank since 12/26/15. Tank was started the day before. Angelfish came a week after that.

Then we get to the otos, I bought them 2 weeks ago and they were seemingly doing fine. Until I caught one sucking on my gourami about 20 minutes ago. I assume this means that I've starved them by placing them in such a young tank.

In other news my gourami has become rather aggressive and often chases my beloved angelfish.

Finally, I get to my question, should I just give the otos and gourami to my LFS and start fresh around my angelfish?

Please refrain from correcting mistakes I've admitted to and focus on helping me solve the problem.

Sincerely, A Young Aquarist Just Trying To Get It Right.

Yeah we all started somewhere! I agree, probably best to rehome all of the fish and start fresh. Then you can do some research and see what is compatible.

The angel will eventually get big as well, and can eat the other fish.

Appreciate it guys ??

I think we have all been there.

Just to confirm - you have one 20 gallon tank?

No sorry I have a 29 gallon tank. Probably should've been more clear about that lol

Yeah we all started somewhere! I agree, probably best to rehome all of the fish and start fresh. Then you can do some research and see what is compatible.

The angel will eventually get big as well, and can eat the other fish.

Do you think there would be a way I could base my stock on the angel?
I know that would limit my options but I'd definitely be willing to make compromises to keep that one lol.

Maybe either corys or loaches (once my tank is ready for bottom feeders), a school of full grown penguin or buenos aires tetras, and something else?

Obviously, I'm the newbie, so if that's unwise then I'll just start fresh but it is a fun fish.

It depends.... Considering the fact that angels can get 8-10" in diameter, I personally wouldn't keep them in a 29 long term as they need more space, and a fish that big produces a lot of poop!

I have 3x 3-4" angels in a 29 gal as well, and am planning to move them to my 90 gal as soon as they get a bit bigger(have had them since they were 1"!)

So if you have a plan for a bigger tank, it could work. A 40 breeder tank or 55gal would be a minimum:)

Loaches and cories will work well, as will tetras that are triangle shaped.(not neons, cardinals, etc). I also have several danios in this particular tank.

It depends.... Considering the fact that angels can get 8-10" in diameter, I personally wouldn't keep them in a 29 long term as they need more space, and a fish that big produces a lot of poop!

I have 3x 3-4" angels in a 29 gal as well, and am planning to move them to my 90 gal as soon as they get a bit bigger(have had them since they were 1"!)

So if you have a plan for a bigger tank, it could work. A 40 breeder tank or 55gal would be a minimum:)

Loaches and cories will work well, as will tetras that are triangle shaped.(not neons, cardinals, etc). I also have several danios in this particular tank.

Okay, he/she is currently only about an inch and a half from nose to tail. When would you suggest upgrading the tank size? 4"?

Also, would tetras or danios breed like crazy?

I would say once they are about 4-5", which takes about 6 months.

Nope tetras and danios lay eggs, but you have to have a special set up to breed them. No fry will survive in a community yank, it that's what you're asking.

Here are some pictures of my tetras and danios, a bit blurry...

First is a lemon tetra, second is a long fin leopard danioImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456171931.276949.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456171946.160705.jpg

Yeah the other day I heard about a photo tank, with a tic tac box and tried it out.... It worked, but the fish was very stressed....

You're welcome, keep us updated:)

A single angel will be fine in a 29 with responsible stocking. The average angel from the average LFS will be lucky to see 6".

Appreciate it guys ??

No sorry I have a 29 gallon tank. Probably should've been more clear about that lol

Oops, sorry - misread.

I've got some angelfish that might be ok (small, peaceful), others that I think would be too big now for that size tank on my thoughts.

A single angel will be fine in a 29 with responsible stocking. The average angel from the average LFS will be lucky to see 6".

If it stays at 6" it could work, but with limited stocking as they have a big bioload!

I've seen plenty of angels larger than 8", they do get big.

Doing some research on cories. I have fluorite gravel as my substrate. Is this too sharp for cories?

I have the red fluorite mixed in with fine gravel, api laterite clay and some volcanic pellet substrate. It does feel a little sharp but the yoyo loaches are fine with it. These are full grown ones, haven't tried it with baby loaches.

From memory, keeping nitrates low will also help for keeping barbels healthy.

Cories are fine on gravel, however loaches do like to dig, so I'm not sure on that...

I have the red fluorite mixed in with fine gravel, api laterite clay and some volcanic pellet substrate. It does feel a little sharp but the yoyo loaches are fine with it. These are full grown ones, haven't tried it with baby loaches.

From memory, keeping nitrates low will also help for keeping barbels healthy.

Okay, good to know!

Do you guys have any favorite cories, danios, or tetras?

Probably staying away from loaches because I don't have a power head to give them some current. The angelicus botia is beautiful though.

My favorite tetras are cardinals, lemon, white skirt, black phantom and rathbuni, (Google them and you'll see why!)

I also love neons, embers but they'd be snacks in your tank.

For danios, the long fined ones are the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom