confused again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harriet

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have my new tank most of the ornaments in it but am now confused again about how cycling the tank is going to work can i but my angelfish in or should i get some other fish because i don’t want the angelfish to die i don’t want any fish to die and i just don’t know what to do everything i read says angelfish are unlikely to survive and i just don’t know what to do the tank will have live plants and already has some salvinia in it not much yet just waiting for it to grow and eventually hope to get some java fern on my mopani wood they were in a technically uncycled tank before which is now cycled unintentionally it was them and a bristlenose the bristlenose was in there for about a week before they went in cause he had a nasty burn (from not under my care he previously wasn’t my pleco) and now they’ve grown i’ve got the tank just very unsure what to do

i have established filters and tanks so i’m thinking about putting some water in from old tanks and letting some established filter media float for abit as it won’t actually go in the filter is this useless or will it help it along easier?

i’d like to add i have cycled tanks in the past i just did it unknowingly technically the angels have been part of a another cycle but it still worries me now i know they could die how i ended up unknowingly cycling the tanks is cause i test regularly anyway and do water changes frequently anyway and they did just kinda do it themselves in a way and they have never appeared to have any problems with it and i got them well before Covid started

should i just do the same but a bit more diligently and knowing what i’m doing kinda?? or like should i get some zebra danios like somebody suggested are good for cycling tanks in another thread my lfs just restocked so this wouldn’t be hard to do and if a yes on the danios how many at first just while the tank cycle is getting up going cause i know you shouldn’t add too many fish at once

Some cycled filter media added into the new filter will speed up the cycling process. For your tank to be totally cycled it can take upwards of 6 weeks. 2 weeks with some cycled bacteria in it. Chlorine, heat, drying out, will kill bb. Just fyi. I personally would not cycle with the angelfish. Get some danios, they are hardier and cheap if they don't all pull thru. I bought 8 a couple of years ago, they cycled several tanks and now there's still 3 or 4 (I don't remember) living in a community tank, retired, lol

6 or 8 danios. Continue regular water testing and changes. Change water too if ammonia, nitrates or nitrites get too high. You'll know it's cycled when your only reading low nitrates and the other 2 are at zero

To help speed up the process, you can add some beneficial starter bacteria per the directions on the bottle. I've used tetra, fluval, seachem and api with equally good results. These are more of a booster, not a quick cycle fix like they advertise them to be

i will definitely get some danios then and use some of the other tanks filter media to help the process along thanks so much for the advice i usually test the water a lot anyway cause i like to know it’s still all good and will definitely will be doing water changes as well i finally feel confident in getting this tank up and running thanks to you can’t thank you enough for all the advice

I'm about 6 weeks into this hobby so take that into account with my reply but I wouldn't cycle with the angelfish. I did a fish in cycle with three Platies and three swordtails, relatively cheap and hardy fish. Have lost 50% through combination of probably cycling, ich, and bullying but the remaining three are champs.

I used tetra safe start at the beginning and for the last few weeks have used seachem stability with water changes.

I'm about 6 weeks into this hobby so take that into account with my reply but I wouldn't cycle with the angelfish. I did a fish in cycle with three Platies and three swordtails, relatively cheap and hardy fish. Have lost 50% through combination of probably cycling, ich, and bullying but the remaining three are champs.

I used tetra safe start at the beginning and for the last few weeks have used seachem stability with water changes.
Yeah, the bacteria starter is more of just a booster. They want ppl to think you can add that and do nothing else; your wise to keep up with water changes and continuing to dose. I like stability too. I mostly use that or fluval cycle

My suggestion, don’t waste your money on the bacteria in a bottle. You have filter media from an established tank, you’re doing well. Start off with just a couple of danios and slowly add more as time goes by, keeping with frequent water changes and not over feeding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom