Congo tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luna09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I am turning my 36 gallon bowfront aquarium into a planted tank. I am wondering if I could put Congo tetras in it? I am having a hard time finding information online about them.
Any other suggestions? I have some male guppies I might put in if they are compatible or if I can't put the congos in.

Thanks!!

One of my favorite fish ever! As long as your tank is more wide than tall they should be fine. I'm not sure that I would put them in a tank less than 36" long (they dart and swim from left to right pretty fast). I kept some in a 30 long and they did very well, but I never tried a bowfront. I eventually upgraded them to a 55 with a few rainbows (actually was a tank I gave and maintained for my mom and dad). I remember that the males colored up when I added a tannin liquid (liquid Amazon or something like that). That was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Thank you for the advice!!

My tank is probably not suited as its pretty tall. I really like them though !! Do you have any suitable suggestions that are smaller but similar?

Thank you,
They are very pretty and I think that last time I was at Big Al's they had a tank full of them!! :) I did some reading and it looks like they will be happier if I let the tank grow in before adding them. Lots of hiding places :)

Definitely. They're easy and pretty hardy but mostly for well broken in tanks. how long has your tank been running?

Not long, 2 weeks so it isn't fully cycled yet. I put in some feeder endlers to do the trick and won't go to the fish store for some time. The next fish shipment to big Al's is in 3 weeks. I'd wait another week to see if the fish are healthy. So I'm looking at about a month more with the endlers in alone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom