Connect two tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he is talking about doing what you said before and that is have his 20 as a sump/refuigium, that is horizontal from his 55, and how he would balance the waterflow out.

yes. sorry, the return tube I was referring to was the tube between the two tanks. the HOB of course dumps into the 20, like normal, it is drawing from the 55. which are horizontal to each other.

remember I am just a poor unemployed Dad with more time than money. And OP gave me the idea.

Sorry but have you set this up already? If you have how does it work?do the water levels stay the same or close?

Sorry but have you set this up already? If you have how does it work?do the water levels stay the same or close?

I tried it with my smallest HOB filter.

to make it work it will need a large diameter tube between the tanks. I will try it with pool filter hose. Otherwise no, it was not working.

oh, i think i see what you mean.

one thing you have to account for is cavitation. with the hose connecting the two tanks, any air build up in the connecting hose will stop any siphon action you may have created. this can be righted with an inline check valve at the top of the connecting hose, but again, its best to go with the over/under design.

why not get two small canister filters, feed one from one tank, exit to the other, and on the other, do the opposite... that would be the easiest way

why not get two small canister filters, feed one from one tank, exit to the other, and on the other, do the opposite... that would be the easiest way

No, no no! That would be dangerous! You never connecting two tank (or sump & tank) with 2 active pump systems. If one pump quits, or if the flows are not exactly balanced <and the pumps will get unbalanced with a bit of dirt or algae, etc>, you will pump one tank dry & flood the other.

The proper way is to have a siphon connect the two tanks, and a pump taking water from one to the other. This si a site of how this works:
Aquatic Eden: Aquarium Fish Highway - Freshwater Planted Aquarium Blog

Nothing will get pumped dry if the is a closed tube attachment between the tanks. In fact it would be the simplest system that would work.

Nothing will get pumped dry if the is a closed tube attachment between the tanks. In fact it would be the simplest system that would work.
i was under the impression that there was a line between the two tanks keeping water levels the same... after i read a little deeper in to the thread, i figured out that there wasnt exactly...

right, you need a large diameter tube between the two tanks.

but then you wouldn't need two filters.

OK, I found an old vaccuum cleaner, I am going to use the hose and see if I can keep the levels.

Finally found my camera. The reason I want to connect the tanks, would be so that I can move the filters to the 20 gal and open the front of the 55 up.

Attachments

• CIMG7824.jpg
    CIMG7824.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 94
  • CIMG7823.jpg
    CIMG7823.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom