Considering Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today while shopping for books I found this book called: "The Consientious Marine Aquarist". I bought it and read some of it and I thought I could consider SW. I know it says in the book that a small tank is harder to care for but saltwater fish seemed so cool. The fish I am mos interested in is the fire fish. I want too keep the clown gobies, and clown fish. Do you think that 1 Firefish, 2 Clown Gobies,and 2 clownfish will be okay in a 10 gallon tank?15 gallon tank?20 gallon tank?

20 maybe, 10 or 15 is too small. That may even be pushing the limits on a 20 gal. What kind of clown goby do you like?

I like the look of those and the citrinis. I don't keep any though (for now :wink: ) Were you thinking of doing FO, FOWLR, or a reef?

You may also want to check on the compatability of adding two gobies, and try to get a mated pair of clowns.

That book is awesome. Just remember, the bigger the tank, the better. It helps keep the water quality higher, and allows for more fish. If you start with a small tank, you will probably end up replacing it shortly with a larger one!

If you're going to use a small tank for your first foray into SW, you'll want to be conservative in your stocking levels. I would just put 1 firefish in a 10g; 1 firefish and 1 clownfish would be fine in a 20g, preferably a true or false percula. Most clownfish are very good choices for beginners. Not picky about food or water conditions, tank-bred - they can be territorial to conspecifics, so mated pairs are better if you want two. You'll want plenty of live rock, with lots of hiding spots for the firefish to dart in and out of.

Clown gobies are good choices for nano-reefs as they stay so small, but they really prefer to live in SPS (small polyp stony) corals which are not for beginners.

A 55 is a good size for starters and it allows you to get some larger fish. Smaller tanks can be done you just need to stay on top of maintenance.. Testing water, water changes, water top offs, not over stocking. Larger tanks are more forgiving to mistakes because of the larger water volume.
Not toping off in a small tank can lead to slainity/SG swings which can harm fish and corals.
Money is a big factor in which way you go.... SW is not a cheap hobby and to set a tank up right can cost some big$$$.
Do your homework and you will be fine if you take things slow..
Good luck....

55. you need ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. get a refractometer from drsfostersmith.com (the cheap one) instead of a hydrometer. Save money by getting most of your rock from hirocks.com and add a piece or two of LR from your LFS to get it going. Use a dead shrimp to cycle it, and aragonite "playsand" to line the bottom.

add one fish every few weeks at the most.

But as advised in my book, its better to use prime or base live rock. And why a Refractometer instead of a Hydrometer, I don't get whats the difference.And I intend to use Seaflor substrate mixed with 40 pounds of Live Sand. And according to a new book I bought the test kits I need are pH, Carbonate Hardness, Calcium, Phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Strontium, Iodine, and Iron. BTW the book is called: "The Complete Book Of The Marine Aquarium" By: Vincent B. Hargreaves.

Here are the fish I want to keep, I got them at LiveAquaria.com:
Marine Mollies
Firefish
Ocellaris Clownfish
Court Jester Gboy
Blue Neon Goby
Cherub Angelfish
Bangaii Cardinalfish
Mandarin Dragonet

What tank the 55??? All the kits you mentioned are not needed for a fowlr, if you were going reef with sps corals then I would say get all those kits.
The kits you need jaiden mentioned.
Mandarin in a 55 is probably not a good idea, they need large mature tank with lots of LR and a fuge for food.
Marine mollie?? not sure what that is.. I have to check it out.
The others look like a good list

mollies are great beginner fish too because of there low cost.

If I add 3 lbs. of LR per a gallon, and have a refugium and a good protein skimmer will I need mechanical filtration and will 3 lbs. of LR per. a gallon with a refugium be enough for a Mandarin Dragonet?

Back
Top Bottom