Controlling algae in a fluval spec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a fluval spec V (5 gallon) tank with a finnex planted plus light on it. I'm getting more algae than I'd like. The glass gets some algae on it between water changes, which is easy enough to clean with a scraper. My crypts and rotala have algae on their leaves that I don't know how to easily get off. It's mostly just normal green algae, but a tiny bit of hair algae. The amanos aren't really messing with it either. I don't want to take the plants out every other week. Is there a better lighting schedule I could use? Or any methods to clean the leaves? Or any other suggestions? The algae isn't horrible, but it's bad enough to annoy me.

Here's some additional info about the tank:

The tank gets about 5 hours of light currently. I have one betta, 3 ember tetras, 4 Cardinal tetras, and a couple Amano shrimp. Plants are mostly crypts, with a small amount of rotala indica. I do biweekly 40% water changes.

Thanks in adavance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a fluval spec V (5 gallon) tank with a finnex planted plus light on it. I'm getting more algae than I'd like. The glass gets some algae on it between water changes, which is easy enough to clean with a scraper. My crypts and rotala have algae on their leaves that I don't know how to easily get off. It's mostly just normal green algae, but a tiny bit of hair algae. The amanos aren't really messing with it either. I don't want to take the plants out every other week. Is there a better lighting schedule I could use? Or any methods to clean the leaves? Or any other suggestions? The algae isn't horrible, but it's bad enough to annoy me.

Here's some additional info about the tank:

The tank gets about 5 hours of light currently. I have one betta, 3 ember tetras, 4 Cardinal tetras, and a couple Amano shrimp. Plants are mostly crypts, with a small amount of rotala indica. I do biweekly 40% water changes.

Thanks in adavance!

Hi.

Plants need nutrition. What are you feeding them?

High light + nutrient limiting equals algae.

Once you restore the balance and you observe healthy new growth you can begin to cull the affected leaves until the plant is algae free again. It's generally always bad practice to remove the plants anyway.

You need to do 40% weekly instead of biweekly also. There is no reason not to in a 5 gallon tank as this is a relatively simple task and will not harm the inhabitants.

Is the light intensity adjustable on this fixture?

The Finnex Planted+ is not adjustable. Adjusting the height from the tank and providing floating plants can affect intensity. Screen material cut to fit can be used to decrease intensity.

Hi.

Plants need nutrition. What are you feeding them?

High light + nutrient limiting equals algae.

Once you restore the balance and you observe healthy new growth you can begin to cull the affected leaves until the plant is algae free again. It's generally always bad practice to remove the plants anyway.

You need to do 40% weekly instead of biweekly also. There is no reason not to in a 5 gallon tank as this is a relatively simple task and will not harm the inhabitants.

I dose flourish and iron about weekly. I dose excel every time I dose the other two, and try to a couple extra times. The crypts also have root tabs.

I dose flourish and iron about weekly. I dose excel every time I dose the other two, and try to a couple extra times. The crypts also have root tabs.

Add excel everyday then watch your plants grow and the algae disappear.

Right off I'd say your bio load in that tank is too high. This could be providing excess nutrients like phosphates which will cause algae problems. Also, I've used a liquid C02 additive which will improve plant growth and cut down algae growth at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Add excel everyday then watch your plants grow and the algae disappear.

Well, yes and no. (My experience, of course. Others may differ.). When I was inadvertently overdosing Excel (2.5x, daily), I had no algae. However, I think it also killed my marsilea. :(

Since I cut back to the recommended dosage, algae's been slow to appear, but it is becoming a problem. Also, the plants are growing fairly slowly. I suspect either/both a nitrogen and a carbon deficiency. (That's it's own thread I hope to put up this weekend.)

My point is that, in a medium to high PAR situation, Excel just isn't enough to control algae unless strongly overdosed -- and I don't think that's sustainable over the long run.

(Point of Clarification: I'm no expert in this and am just making guesses from the POV of an experienced beginner.)

Just in passing but it seems some people report good algae control with normal glut dosing and others get some control with over dosing (myself in the latter).

Just wondered if others had seen that and what it could mean. I've wondered if there might be different types of glut.

Well you get two added advantages by using liquid carbon products or glut.

Firstly, it's algaecide effect and secondly it's carbon support towards plants. I think the latter of the two is more important when it comes to using it to fight algae.

Although I understand the trail of thought here, it's unfair to say that excel is unsustainable in medium/high light tanks because the uptake rate is also dependent on plant species, mass and flow etc.

As plant mass increase, massively overdosing excel as per bottle instructions may still not be enough to sustain the plants.

Barliman, some plants do not respond well to liquid carbon but there are few. It sounds to me like your tank could use more.

I'll start to dosing excel daily. I believe it recommends 1ml per 10 gallon, but how much should I really use? I actually use metricide, which I've heard is twice as strong. I was doing about 1.5ml of it.

I'll start to dosing excel daily. I believe it recommends 1ml per 10 gallon, but how much should I really use? I actually use metricide, which I've heard is twice as strong. I was doing about 1.5ml of it.

Dose whatever you was dosing daily and look for improvements. ?

Edit: please feedback in a weeks time or so. Thanks

I don't use metricide, but, FWIW, I was mistakenly adding 5ml per day of Excel to my 20-long (the recommended dose is 2ml), and algae was not an issue.

Question for the hive mind: are there any know vulnerabilities of Otos or amano shrimp to Excel overdosing?

I don't use metricide, but, FWIW, I was mistakenly adding 5ml per day of Excel to my 20-long (the recommended dose is 2ml), and algae was not an issue.

Question for the hive mind: are there any know vulnerabilities of Otos or amano shrimp to Excel overdosing?

Probably, but what dose is overdose? You know, those recommended doses on the bottles are very conservative.

I read a thread in which Tom Barr recollects s conversation with the guy at Seachem behind the product. I'll try and find it. But basically, the guy says something along the lines of. A heavily planted tank needs more than the recommended dose. I use easy carbo 6ml daily I'm not overdosing per se but I've heard of people using double that in a significantly smaller tank.

Go slow and up the dosage gradually if you are unsure. Report back what you find.

I read a thread in which Tom Barr recollects s conversation with the guy at Seachem behind the product. I'll try and find it. But basically, the guy says something along the lines of. A heavily planted tank needs more than the recommended dose. I use easy carbo 6ml daily I'm not overdosing per se but I've heard of people using double that in a significantly smaller tank.

Go slow and up the dosage gradually if you are unsure. Report back what you find.

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread. :oops:

I've started adding 3ml per day: we'll see what the result is after a week. And if you can find that Barr thread, I'd like to read it.

Thanks, and sorry for hijacking the thread. :oops:

I've started adding 3ml per day: we'll see what the result is after a week. And if you can find that Barr thread, I'd like to read it.

Ive searched for some links in my time but this one is a tough one to find. I'm not giving up though. Only read it the other day!

In your tank? What would be 2x the maximum dose?

throw some liquid carbon in there and add more plants. throw an oto and a couple snails in there (i personally recommend two different breeds, one specimen each)

Ive searched for some links in my time but this one is a tough one to find. I'm not giving up though. Only read it the other day!

Carry on. :)

In your tank? What would be 2x the maximum dose?

Recommended dose for a 20-gallon is 2ml. I've been administering 3ml for a few days, now. Next week I'll up it to four. We'll see what happens.

Carry on. :)

Recommended dose for a 20-gallon is 2ml. I've been administering 3ml for a few days, now. Next week I'll up it to four. We'll see what happens.

I'd hold out on 3ml for now. Whilst looking for that thread I've come across a few as far as toxicity is concerned and the consensus seems to be to stick to the recommended levels. It's obvious to me that, if you have a heavily planted tank the excel is broken down much faster and so adding more may be necessary but I'd hate to tell you to add more and then you have issues. Seachem also state that you should see positive, healthy growth by using the recommended levels. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you need more. You can observe your tank and look for changes.

Do you notice any difference in plants growth?

References:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ty-decomposition.html#/topics/85626?_k=n7f9zl

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/flourish-excel-is-glutaraldehyde.170441/page-4

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=45544

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/co2-enrichment/4356-glutaraldehyde

Seek out the posts by plantbrain. The reason for this Is because he has tested the stuff under lab conditions. Either that or he is endorsed by Seachem. I doubt it though.

At one point I was dosing about 10 mL of half strength Metricide 14 per day with no ill effects to the amanos and otos. I did have to work up to that level over a few weeks. That was before I started using pressurized CO2. I only dose now when I see BBA.

Back
Top Bottom