Controlling Hair Aglea.... Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huffers

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody! So I've had my 10 gallon nano reef set up for about a month now and so far everything has been going great. All the corals and fish seem very happy. However, I have noticed that I am starting to see some hair algae growing on my live rock. I am hoping to ward off this algae before it becomes a real problem. I use filtered natural seawater in my tank that has a low phosphate reading. I also use distilled water for my top-offs as I do not have access to an RO/DI unit.

After testing my water I don't have any nitrates and very low phosphates. I've also shortened the time in which my light stays on. Is there anything more I can do too try and starve this algae out? I've read online about chemical phosphate removers. Does anyone have an opinion on whether these should be used in nano tanks?? Thanks!

With out a digital phosphate test you really can't get an accurate enough reading with titraters to know if its low enough. Phophate removers are always a good idea imo since phosphates can stop coral growth at low levels. With your tank being only a month old though it could just be new tank syndrome.

Ok I went out today and purchased a bottle of Chemi-pure Elite. It's supposed to remove all phosphates and silicates which I know is what hair algae thrives on. Has anyone ever used this product before? I've seen a lot of good things said about it online. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Huffers said:
Ok I went out today and purchased a bottle of Chemi-pure Elite. It's supposed to remove all phosphates and silicates which I know is what hair algae thrives on. Has anyone ever used this product before? I've seen a lot of good things said about it online. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Ive heard good things about it almost bought a bottle the other day but just ended up with some phosguard.. should do the trick but I imagine someone with first hand experience should be around shortly

There was a thread opened about it. Search it, its got decent info. (would link but using the app sorry)

Back
Top Bottom