Copepod (or not) ID help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've got a few types of pods in my system right now and I was hoping you would all help me id one specific bug that I can't. I jump started my fuge a year ago with chaeto and rock rubble from refugiums off of 2 different local reefer's established tanks - so, I'm not sure EXACTLY what they had in there. Only now has my fuge really shown signs of a lot of different life. Recently, I've seen small snails and mini stars (posted a thread relating to the mini stars yesterday). I know amphipods. I have tons of them, and I know what they look like. They are big, very distinct curled shape bugs and easy to spot. I never see them on my glass, just on rock and sand. There is another 'pod' that I see on my glass. They are little almost ant-like looking things on the glass. Now, I've always assumed that they were copepods, but after reading today most people say that copepods are tiny, tiny, tiny critters that are barely seen by the eye. I would assume these are the teeny dots that move on the glass if you're lucky enough to focus your eyes correctly and see them move. I've had a mandarin that does NOT eat frozen foods for about 9 months now, so I'm sure I have lots of copepods. These other ant-like 'pods' are NOT that small. You can see them pretty easily. They are literally the size of a small ant, not a big carpenter ant but your basic little black ant. Are these just adult copepods? Do copepods grow thsi big? This is probably a stupid question but could these be mysid shrimp maybe? I don't really know what mysid shrimp look like and since this come from an established fuge, I thought it may be a possiblity. I wish I could get a pic, but my camera wont focus on something that small.

- Skins

Ziggy953 said:
Do they move quickly "swimming" about on the glass? What you are describing sounds to me like mysis shrimp.

Have a look at this. Does it look like this guy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mysis2kils.jpg

It may be. They move quickly on the glass yes, but I wouldn't describe them as "swimming" about on the glass. I've also never seen them in the water column at all. They don't seem to be shaped like mysis. They don't look like little shrimp. I know this is silly without a pic.

I think mysis are bigger though, right? Like 1/2"? I've never seen any of these little critters bigger than about a cm.

Thanks for the help.

the mysis in my tanks are tiny more like a 1/16" and those are the larger ones. some just look like little white dots moving around. copepods dont really swim they kind of pulse in the water...Blue planets seas of life shows copepods on microscopic level. they are really hard to see with the naked eye. I don't have enough back ground on the subject and without a pic it is hard to say for sure. ....

Great site. The things I described were infact related to the mysis. Cool I guess I knew something after all...I get a gold star I get a gold star!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom