Copepods and Mandarin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any one know a good place to get Copepods from? I want to start adding some to my system more likely it will be my main system since I have no Fuge to put them in. I also want to get a Mandarin I have enough LR for it to graze and enough hiding spots for it. As my system is maturing. I know they are difficult to keep but I think it will be ok. I want to start adding Copepods before getting a Mandarin so it will be nice and ready for it to munch on. Any suggestion on were I can get some copepods I want to get tons of them and I know the LFS only sells them in a pouch but not many.
Let me know..

There is a product now available called Reefpods. I see them in magazines (FAMA, and Aquarium Fish International). They're supposed to be live pods in suspension.

Sweet that's what I will be doing...? Anyone know how to get Copepods to reproduce?

copepods and amphipods will reproduce all by them selves in your tank but the problem is in tanks smaller then about 90 gallons they won't get to a big enough population to reproduce as fast as a mandarin will eat them. So what usually happens is the fish slowly depletes their food source and then eventually starves. Takes months but it happens quite a bit. You are going to need to most likly continute to buy pods to keep up the population in a tank your size. People set up "pod piles" in thier sump to help provide a safe place for the pods to reproduce to help their population.

Yeah it will be hard in my Tank to have them reproduce unless I shelter a small area in my tank so they can not access the pods with out a sump to keep them safe looks like I'll be adding pods regularly...

Personally I would not add this fish to your system with out a fuge and an exploding population of pods. They pretty much eat only copepods. Amphipods are too big for them to eat. You will find that buying pods on a regular basis is very expensive.

My 20g fuge is packed full of pods and my system has been established for quite a while and I'm reluctant to try another mandarin.

Personally I would not add this fish to your system with out a fuge and an exploding population of pods. They pretty much eat only copepods. Amphipods are too big for them to eat. You will find that buying pods on a regular basis is very expensive.

My 20g fuge is packed full of pods and my system has been established for quite a while and I'm reluctant to try another mandarin.

Yeah I was just sitting here thinking I should just forgo the mandarin for now, can not have them without a Fuge. I am thinking of getting a Fuge thought so he will still be in future plans just not right now...

Thanks Ziggy. :new-alien:

silly question (not to hijack) but how do you get the pods to the mandarin if they are in the refuge?

Some mandarins can be trained to eat prepared/frozen food. Check your LFS before you give up the idea but it is definitely possible.

In the next 2 weeks I will invest in a Refuge. Then in 6 weeks I will try to take a crack at the Mandarin. So hopefully all goes will. I love the colors of that Mandarin and it will be great addition for my reef.

Like I said check to see if your LFS has any that are eating prepared food first. Then ask to see it if they are, that way you don't have to worry about.

Like I said check to see if your LFS has any that are eating prepared food first. Then ask to see it if they are, that way you don't have to worry about.

Oh I forgot to mention that I was on the phone with the LFS today and they were feeding frozen arctic copepods... He was stating that they love them and that is what they prepare for them specifically... :) But I still have time to read up more about them and there habits I am not steering away from the creature just yet. :)

I always thought them to be the most beautiful of fish....but according to everything I have read, they do not live a long time in captivity even if they eat prepared foods as there is something they get in the wild that has not been replicated yet. That is sad to me. I would hate to get attached to a fish knowing it would die just because I had him. There are, of course, instances where people are fortunate to have their fish for a long while. I just personally, wouldn't want to take that chance.

Does not hurt to try. Isn't what this hobby is all about getting and trying new things. Your going to have your bad experience and bumps in the road but that comes with learning. I will take my chances.

Yes, that's why I dug-up this site for you...I was thinking of trying to grow them myself...see what you think Frankie..REED-Mariculture.com/zooplankton/copepod/care.asp

Sorry I can't "paste"...don't know how...hope this works...it seems easy enough.
l
------------

Curly

Back
Top Bottom