Coral ID & tips, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
The other day stopped by Reef Raft and picked up a couple of frags, a really bright orange mushroom (will post pics after it picks a home, bought it unattached to anything) and this cool little guy.
it caught my eye because it is very bright and contrasts great against itself.
pics under different light;

img_3231286_0_6418d43696596c612758b462e677ba2a.jpg

img_3231286_1_047adbe48532d634d12a1e1fd4b5379f.jpg

img_3231286_2_25748fdda95182aa3d5fc769667e0e73.jpg

I can't for the life of me remember what he specifically called it, and he said it could go anywhere in the tank?
it's on a 1" plug and the polyps are about 1/32"-1/16" when fully extended.

when it is all fully opened up it is stunning and I'm hoping to get it to grow pretty large.(y)

So if any of you know what it is and could give a few tips concerning placement for lighting and flow it would be greatly appreciated.

I will say they have some pretty awesome corals there at Reef Raft, and the ones I have gotten from there so far are doing great, but some of them can be VERY, VERY expensive. :eek:

Looks like a meteor shower to me.

thank you (y)

after poking around for meteor coral, the scientific name rang a bell of what he called it.

So I guess from all I've read, they do best with low light/low flow but can be acclimated to higher light if done slowly and carefully.

now to find a good spot for it......

I have noticed that if in direct light, the polyps don't extend much, but in a shadow the open up a lot more. that was on the bottom.
I moved it up about 1/3 and on the side corner where it is getting a mix of light and shadow, so I'll see how it does there over the next week.

That is one thing I do like with the LED light is that it gives me plenty of room up the sides of the tank for low/medium light coral while still being able to keep high light demanding ones directly underneath and everybody is happy....we hope.

They need low to medium light in my experience. "Anywhere in the tank" should tell you something about the workers that sold you that lacking frag.

They need low to medium light in my experience. "Anywhere in the tank" should tell you something about the workers that sold you that lacking frag.

I think it has more to do with the fact that 99% of their business is online and they seem surprised and unsure whenever someone actually enters the brick & mortar store...LOL
then again, according to what I've been reading, they can go anywhere, it's just the acclimation process is very slow compared to other corals.
They do have some absolutely gorgeous corals at that store, some I haven't seen anywhere else, but at multiple hundreds per frag, way beyond my budget.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reef-Raft-USA/267806413390165
http://www.reefraftusa.com/

I don't think the frag is lacking considering the price I paid ($15) compared to what I've seen available elsewhere and online, actually better than most of the deals I've seen online when $$ is considered. ;)

I have never seen nor have I been able to acclimate cyphastrea to high lighting. It's edges are bleached/burnt is what i meant by lacking.

I have never seen nor have I been able to acclimate cyphastrea to high lighting. It's edges are bleached/burnt is what i meant by lacking.

Ok, most of the stuff I read agrees with you, but a few odd reports said no problem, but considering how fast it bleached, low light I think is the way to go.
yeah the edges are my fault, even though it was on the bottom it was directly under the light and those spots are the result of about 8 hours there,
it is now off to the side in light shadows.

When I first got it was full all around with no spots showing through.

so what is lacking in this situation is my ability to not impulse buy and my knowledge/experience when it comes to coral keeping. :blink:
that's why I'm asking you guys.

yeah, learning that the hard way...:(

it has been off to the side in shadow for a couple of hours now and its starting to extend all it's polyps nicely.
I really hope I have success with it because it will look cool to have a "carpet" of it on some rockwork.

Back
Top Bottom