Coral questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank is doing well. Inverts happy. Rose anemone has expanded to three times the size she was when I bought her, and the gold striped maroon clown is happy there.

Basic water tests fine. Nitrate has gone up to 20 once, but drops by itself to 5 and stays there. PH a question, depending on test kit used, but is 8.3 on mine and remains steady. I add a little Seachem Marine Buffer when doing water changes. Ammonia and nitrite have always been zero.

Occasional hatches of things, and lots of growth of plants and algae.

As I move toward a reef type tank, what water tests should I add to the regular tests, what levels should they be, and what should I do too correct any variances?

Thanks.

Thanks. Very informative articles.

Salifert test kits as suggested are on the way. After I get the chemistry sorted out, I want to start with a few corals, which I have never had before.

I have 260 watts pc 20" above the sand bed. Which types of corals should I try, and which should I avoid?

The lfs told me to feed them liquid planktonic food, and turn the pumps off for a while when feeding. Is that correct? Any other things I should know about before jumping in?

how long have you had the rose anemone? i want to get one but dont know if i want to chance the $100 that my tank wouldnt be able to support it. i have pretty much the same set up as you, 55 gal with 260 watts of PC lighting. ive heard that the rose bulbs are more hardy than other anemones and aren't as aggressive. do you find this to be true? also, how old was your tank when you first purchased it?

sorry for all the questions, but your the first person ive seen mention having one. Thanks

As for the test kit suggestions, are these what are needed if one plans to keep corals in general?

I have read a lot that most elements are replenished through water changes and dosing is not always necessary. I have also read that IO seems lacking in calcium and other elements. So if I was using IO for salt than dosing would be necessary for healthy corals?

Just wondering. I have been looking for some of the more recommended salt brands recently but IO and Red Sea is what the LFS has. Not sure if I want to start mail ordering.

At this point, low light corals are all that I will have(3watts/gal) so I don't want to make it more complicated than it is. Simpler the better.

As for the test kit suggestions, are these what are needed if one plans to keep corals in general?

I test for CA ALK and PH and salinity on a regular basis, I have kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PO4 and test if something looks amiss. Until you get to know your tank and it can tell you when there is a problem, you should test all of them regularly.

The rose anamone seemed reclusive at first. Then it started to expand and look better, but a week later when I put in the gold striped maroon clown, the anemone came alive. It has expeanded to three times it purchase size. It has not moved from its original position except to expand. No problems with it of any sort. The clown has not been more than an inch or two from the anemone since it went in the tank. Fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom